How to Document Continuous Improvement Projects

L

LesPiles

Hello !

We have two groups in our business : an Industrial Eng. group and a Quality Assurance (and Control) group. Both groups work in close cooperation.

As many businesses, we've engaged ourselves in a Lean Initiative. Mainly, Industrial Eng. group leads the effort.

So, in their effort, they record every issue that Production transfers to them in a spreadsheet and follow weekly the issue (responsible, collaborators, dates, % complete). Initially, they were suppose to log - and resolve - issues that were a declared threat or a potential threat to the shipping of the product.

Since we've copied in their weekly status of issues, we've taken a peek to realiza that some issues are "projects" on their own (I mean, they are no so easy to solve and looks very similar to CARs). The question was then ask, from my Quality group point of view, how do you document the resolution of the issues ?" (between the lines, do you log root cause ? do you perform such an analysis ? do you have corrective actions clearly enounced ? Preventive ones ? Contingency actions ?). Their answers : due to lack of resources (time), they don't log evidence of resolution ... :)( we loose the opportunity to develop a knowledge database) and the complex issues are being tracked in a folder. The folder only contains meeting notes.

Is is acceptable ? Shouldn't they use our CAR system ? They are part of our ISO system too, no ? Could they use a different system to document their improvement project ? Is the A3 the solution ?

Thank you to all in advance ! :)

:)

S

ssz102

i think the problem is traceability for continous improvement projects you said
so you do log with EXCEL or other system is ok

P

peacewong

CAR is only one of tools of improvements. It is accept to use whatever tools to track / record your improvements. You can develop a system ro record them. Also can develop the standard template to document those improvements. Record the daily improvements you can use kaizen newspaper, kaizen log-homework moving forward, kaizen log-proposal for yokoten, etc.

Top Bottom