Countermeasure Answer on Decision Making - Need help

H

haueyman

I need to come up with a countermeasure for a decision making process what is acceptable?
Let me give the story behind the question.

During a production run our employees found suspect parts due to our inspection frequency, parts were placed on hold for disposition. Quality looked at the parts, the descrepancy was holes undersize, and deemed parts to be ok. Parts were shipped customer started to build parts and could not use due to undersize holes.

My customer is requesting a countermeasure for this and I am struggling to give him something that he will be satisfied with. Does anyone have any ideas?

D

Duke Okes

Re: Need help with countermeasure answer on Decision making

Quality looked at the parts, the descrepancy was holes undersize, and deemed parts to be ok. Parts were shipped customer started to build parts and could not use due to undersize holes. My customer is requesting a countermeasure for this and I am struggling to give him something that he will be satisfied with. Does anyone have any ideas?

So why did QA think the undersize holes were OK? What can you do to keep them from making such an incorrect decision in the future? (e.g., is it because the spec is unclear, because they think they have authority to deviate from the spec, they were told to deviate, etc.)

Also, you should have a countermeasure to prevent producing undersize holes in the future.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

When a part fails inspection, in my experience a material review board (MRB) is supposed to be used for deciding the parts' next step(s). I say "supposed to" because it hasn't always worked that way; one guy or two would look at it, sometimes decide on his/their own, based on their experience with the customers' requirements, or they would call the customer to ask about it specifically.

Sometimes this little process wouldn't work--and the parts would be returned as no-good.

In that case, as seems apparent with yours, there was no check and balance applied. In a traditional MRB a QA person is joined by engineering and maybe someone to represent the customer's voice if they have that critical information. That sounds cumbersome, and it can be. But so is dealing with this roundy-roundy process of getting it wrong, true?

So the countermeasure would probably be to revisit your MRB process. Did the QA person consult the spec? If so, based on what were the out-of-spec holes deemed acceptable? In a better-represented MRB, these things get asked in real time. At the same time, the causes can get addressed so as to make the MRB less cumbersome by eliminating its need to be held.

I hope this helps.

H

haueyman

When a part fails inspection, in my experience a material review board (MRB) is supposed to be used for deciding the parts' next step(s).

I hope this helps.

I am used to the system you talk about in my previous job. It failed as well, and at a stamping facility which is where I am at currently they do not do this. QA person did not visit the spec and did not consult with customer or any one else for that matter. So that will be addressed.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
The best action is to stop making bad parts...

A few ideas for the "escape" cause:

This is an example of an intentional action. This can actually be addressed with moderate success probability by training and process compliance monitoring. Explaining to the person what the real procedures are and why they are in place might help. Perhaps this person thought that the Customer's specs were too tight, or that production was too picky or that they could remember what the specs were...

That said a more robust MRB process can also help. Requiring that the specifications and actual measurements be recorded on a rejection documentation. Requiring more than one signature for a "use as is" type of disposition including Customer approval. A true MRB management review of all dispostions on a routine basis to monitor adherance.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Also, you should have a countermeasure to prevent producing undersize holes in the future.
:agree1:
The best action is to stop making bad parts...
:agree1:This is the critical issue here. That is what you should really focus on.
Quality looked at the parts, the descrepancy was holes undersize, and deemed parts to be ok. Parts were shipped customer started to build parts and could not use due to undersize holes.
Does anyone have any ideas?
I see that your organization is certified to TS-16949. So, you should have a robust quality system in place. I would ask these "quality" folks whom dispositioned the non-conforming product willy nilly and ask them if they are aware of your quality policy. It might sound trivial, but in my opinion, that is the time when people should really be asked if they are aware of the policy and why would they knowingly ship non-conforming product, without a concession. They are obviously failing to keep the customer in focus and failing to abide by your quality policy which states: XXXXXXXXX is committed to meeting customer requirements and increasing customer satisfaction through continual improvement of its products, services and the quality management system.

And your system also failed to comply with TS clause 8.3.3. non-conforming product was shipped without a concession (which in my opinion is a major transgression) and the customer was not notified that such products were shipped.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

I need to come up with a countermeasure for a decision making process what is acceptable?
Let me give the story behind the question.

During a production run our employees found suspect parts due to our inspection frequency, parts were placed on hold for disposition. Quality looked at the parts, the descrepancy was holes undersize, and deemed parts to be ok. Parts were shipped customer started to build parts and could not use due to undersize holes. My customer is requesting a countermeasure for this and I am struggling to give him something that he will be satisfied with. Does anyone have any ideas?

Jennifer has given sound advise here. Apparently in your case the Q/A has the final authority to decide whether a non conformity is passable or not. IMO (and I practice what I preach) the decision to deviate from the specs. should be shouldered by incharges of Production & Q/A and the contact person for the customer, under supervision of atleast one personnel from the management. The team has the responsibility to decide whether the NC may be sent as it is, or the rework will improve it to better acceptance level by the customer.

You might introduce something on similar lines, as a counter measure, to report to your customer.

Hope this helps

Umang :D

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
:agree1::agree1:This is the critical issue here. That is what you should really focus on.
I see that your organization is certified to TS-16949. So, you should have a robust quality system in place. I would ask these "quality" folks whom dispositioned the non-conforming product willy nilly and ask them if they are aware of your quality policy. It might sound trivial, but in my opinion, that is the time when people should really be asked if they are aware of the policy and why would they knowingly ship non-conforming product, without a concession. They are obviously failing to keep the customer in focus and failing to abide by your quality policy which states: XXXXXXXXX is committed to meeting customer requirements and increasing customer satisfaction through continual improvement of its products, services and the quality management system.

And your system also failed to comply with TS clause 8.3.3. non-conforming product was shipped without a concession (which in my opinion is a major transgression) and the customer was not notified that such products were shipped.
Over the years, Cove visitors have vented about production or management folks over-riding quality opinions about whether products are conforming or not. Ultimately, though, it all boils down to:
"What will the customer accept?"
Sidney has repeated the concept I first heard while working in a steel and non-ferrous metal distribution center while on the night shift in 1961 (paying my way through college!):
"Don't ship questionable material unless customer approves in advance IN WRITING!"
Sidney has used the correct term, "concession." Another applicable term is "waiver," but waiver is more often applied to using something equivalent to the original requirement - something like "generic substitute for brand name drug."

In the long run, it is more efficient to get advance permission instead of forgiveness, regardless of any brag you may hear from "hipshooters"

H

haueyman

"Don't ship questionable material unless customer approves in advance IN WRITING!"

I like that and will talk with the person that has created this problem. But in the long run it has opened my eyes to the gap that is there and that is only one person is reviewing the product on hold and only that person is making the final decision. :mad:

I will most assuredly use all of this for my countermeasure.

Last edited by a moderator:

sinned

Registered Visitor

i have also setup the MRB thing when i worked for my previous company. Initially, i put in the Production Manager, Engineering Manager, PMC, and Sales to the MRB meeting every morning for roughly 15 minutes. Very soon it became a painful time for the managers and more and more they became relied on me (Quality) to make the waive-reject decision. Of cause when the risk is considered high, i will bring the issue up to management. No system is perfect and we did make incorrect judgement sometimes. The most important point is to learn from it.

Top Bottom