Food Cross Contamination question

B

blue moon

Dear friend i have some question about cross contamination and related example and i hope if you correct me

1- i visit a restaurant , they hope to get ISO 22000 , they cutting the meet and chicken and vegetables in the same place with the same tool

when i ask thier manager he told me that

1- they use this place only for uncoocked food like raw meat , raw chicken and fresh vegetables

2- all of previous will coocked with using a tool for the cocked food

my question and please i hope if some one answer all question : according to ISO 22000

1- is this situation is right

2- is this important to separate the places used for cutting the raw meat , rae chicken and raw vegatables i.e. ( is this important to make a separate room for every type)

3- can we use the same tool for uncoocked food like raw meat , raw chicken and fresh vegetables

if there is a cross conamination please describe where the cross conamination and how it happen ?

thanks

harry

Trusted Information Resource
In short, cross-contamination is when bacteria spread between food, surfaces or equipment.

Example:
different food stored together or processed together - no
different food processed separately but on same surface (not cleaned in between) - no
different food processed separately and on different surfaces but using the same equipment (not cleaned in between) - no
and other combinations.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
This is more specifically an issue of Cleaning and Cross-contamination and not wise to put the entire ISO 22000 into the picture as ISO 22000 is much more than mere cleaning and preventing these types of issues.

Having said this, they could get possibly an Observation for not defining these steps in the proocedure adequately :D

Cleaning and preventing cross-contamination are both essential to make sure the food that is being consumed is safe to eat.

Effective cleaning gets rid of bacteria on hands, equipment and surfaces, which helps to stop harmful bacteria from spreading onto food.

Cross-contamination is when bacteria spread between food, surfaces or equipment. It's most likely to happen when raw foods gets in touch with the cooked food as raw food is rich in bacteria.

If you cut raw meat on a chopping board, harmful bacteria will spread from the meat to the board and knife and if the same board is used for cutting cooked food, the food would be full of these bacteria.

Incidently, I had started my working career in a Flight Catering Unit and we had different sections for raw and cooked food with different sets of choping boards, knives and other accessories. :)

Just a headsup from US Department of Agricultre - Food Safety and Inspection

Last edited:
B

blue moon

i can't understand

i know we must separate between coocked food and uncoocked food

but i want a reply for my question in the toipc

P

Polly Pure Bread

Dear friend i have some question about cross contamination and related example and i hope if you correct me

1- i visit a restaurant , they hope to get ISO 22000 , they cutting the meet and chicken and vegetables in the same place with the same tool

when i ask thier manager he told me that

1- they use this place only for uncoocked food like raw meat , raw chicken and fresh vegetables

2- all of previous will coocked with using a tool for the cocked food

my question and please i hope if some one answer all question : according to ISO 22000

1- is this situation is right

NO

2- is this important to separate the places used for cutting the raw meat , rae chicken and raw vegatables i.e. ( is this important to make a separate room for every type)

YES
i suggest this practice...

1. Cutting board and knives (handles)
Green = vegetables and fresh fruits
Red = Beef
Blue = Sea foods
Pink/Orange = Pork
Yellow = Poultry
White = Dairy and bread

2. Crates
Green = vegetables and fresh fruits
Red = Beef
Blue = Sea foods
Pink/Orange = Pork
Yellow = Poultry

3. Cleaning tools
Green = Food contact surfaces in the Production Area (e.g. prep. Tables, inside equipment, shelves inside storage units/hot cabinets, etc)
Red = Non-food contact surfaces in the Production Area (e.g. outside of equipment, shelves for pots and pans, floors, walls, and other non-food contact premises)
Yellow = Dry Areas in the Counter and Dining Areas
Blue = We Areas in the Counter and Dining Areas

3- can we use the same tool for uncoocked food like raw meat , raw chicken and fresh vegetables

CANNOT

if there is a cross conamination please describe where the cross conamination and how it happen ?

POSSIBLE
Contamination – presence of something objectionable on/in food.
Contaminants – any substance or object that makes food harmful, objectionable or contaminate.
Cross contamination – microorganisms are carried from one source to another.

B

blue moon

very thanks to all

but i think we can use one tool for raw meat and raw chicken and cut them in the same tables

they are the same type ?

or we must separte between them ?

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
very thanks to all

but i think we can use one tool for raw meat and raw chicken and cut them in the same tables

they are the same type ?

or we must separte between them ?

It all depends on how you put up your practices. A good system would be to use different tools :D

T

Tony C

1- It is good that they use a separate area for raw material preparation

2- It is not always practical to use separate raw preparation areas

3- The same equipment can be used for all raw materials. There is a risk of cross contamination between raw materials so it is good practice to clean in between. However, as all the raw materials are to be cooked any contamination should be eliminated. The most important thing is to segregate raw and cooked rather than types of raw.

Typical Catering Requirements:

Separate clearly identifiable colour coded cutting boards, knives and other equipment should be used for raw and cooked foods.

There should be segregated storage of equipment.

Use a separate area(not necessarily a different room) for each of the colours of cutting board and knife.

There should be clear signage to indicate which type of food (Raw or Cooked) is to be prepared in each area.

The complexity of the colour coding should be judged on the size of the operation. It is better to keep colour coding simple so that everyone knows and understands the system. Using one set of colour coded equipment and area for all raw materials is acceptable providing all the raw materials are cooked afterwards.

Another thing to consider is food like salads which need to be prepared but are not cooked. This is sometimes managed by washing at a sink and passing over to the cooked area.

So a basic colour coding system could be Red for Raw, Green for Salads & Fruit, White for Cooked.

Please note cross contamination is just as likely to come from the staff so somebody should not be working with cooked and raw at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Tony

Top Bottom