ESD Work Instruction or ESD Process Flow Chart - Seeking example

B

Barbara

Thanks to everyone for responding to my thread on internal communication. I plan to show the responses to my CEO. I do have a question on ESD. Does anyone have an example of a flow chart or work instruction. We are a service company and do not do new manufacturing but do handle static sensitive parts to replace defective parts so I need to address this.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Barbara said:
Thanks to everyone for responding to my thread on internal communication. I plan to show the responses to my CEO. I do have a question on ESD. Does anyone have an example of a flow chart or work instruction. We are a service company and do not do new manufacturing but do handle static sensitive parts to replace defective parts so I need to address this.
You can look at this one. It needs some work, but it addresses repair as well as manufacturing. Also find the standards posted in the thread ESD Control Certification by NARTE. The other standards you will need are available from the Electro Static Discharge Association. Also look at DESCO for test equipment you will need for wrist and/or foot straps, mats, floors, etc.

Attachments

• ESDS.doc
    90 KB · Views: 1,004

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Try here
JEDEC is the leading developer of standards for the solid-state industry. Almost 2500 participants, appointed by some 270 companies work together in 50 JEDEC committees meet the needs of every segment of the industry, manufacturers and consumers alike. The publications and standards that they generate are accepted throughout the world. All JEDEC standards are available online, at no charge.

M

Murphys Law

Don't know if it will help but here are some key things you need for ESD protection:-

Human induced ESD
- Wrist straps + monitors when strap is not grounded.
- Ground mat (Earthed)
- Static protective overcoats

Work environment
- cleanliness: Keep ESD sources (paper, plastics etc) away from work area
- ESD warning labels.
- Training. All users must know ESD handling procedures.
- Hummidiers. (drier the air, higher charge build up).
- Equipment. Make sure it has grounding and cannot leave to a CDM event
- Static bags.

Not related to ESD but whilst we are talking protection on rework, make sure you take appropriate moisture handling protection measures for your electronic componets. If not, any moisture inside the device will expand upon soldering and could damage the device.

AndyN

Moved On
Is a dedicated ESD procedure..........

what you're looking for? Or do you need to know what should be included in other WI's to cover ESD considerations when handling product, making repairs etc. I would suggest that all ESD precautions should be included in your existing documentation rather than putting them into a 'stand alone' ESD procedure.

Andy

Top Bottom