MSA applicability for Hardness Testers - What type of MSA should be done?

A

Andrews

What type of MSA should be done for hardness testers?

As far as I know,Bias , Linearity and stability are applicable for these testers. R and R is not applicable because we cannot repeat the measurement at the same location no. of times. Am I correct?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
You can still perform an R&R study for a destructive test. The key is the homogeneity of the sample within the pattern of test indentations. Take the repeats for a given sample as closely together as the test standard allows (too close together affects the results).

The methodology for a destructive gage R&R is shown in the AIAG MSA (Measurement System Analysis) manual.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Miner said:
You can still perform an R&R study for a destructive test. The key is the homogeneity of the sample within the pattern of test indentations. Take the repeats for a given sample as closely together as the test standard allows (too close together affects the results).

The methodology for a destructive gage R&R is shown in the AIAG MSA (Measurement System Analysis) manual.

And it works - try it.

C

Cesar2005

Agree with Miner and Bev, the key is homogeniety of the sample.
I did one destructive GRR study way back in 1995, a particle counter inside the cleanroom area. It was a hit.

A

Andrews

Are you talking about Section IV of the MSA third edition manual? Could you guide me on the steps to be followed for conducting R and R for hardness tester?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Andrews said:
Are you talking about Section IV of the MSA third edition manual? Could you guide me on the steps to be followed for conducting R and R for hardness tester?
Are you talking about doing a GR&R using production parts? I think the general consensus of the answers you've received thus far are that you can do a standard GR&R study so long as A) the parts are selected from a reasonably homogeneous process flow, and B) the same parts can be tested multiple times. In other words, there's enough room on the sample surfaces to do multiple indentations, so that each operator is hitting what is essentially the same part in the same area. Otherwise, the rules are basically the same as for any other GR&R study.

Top Bottom