AIAG release of TR 16949

R

Roger Eastin

Just a note: I tried to purchase TR16949 from AIAG, but I was told that it would not be available until the 4th quarter of this year.

R

Richard Sadler

I got a copy of ISO/TS16949 from the British Standards Institute. Their website is at http:\\www.bsi.org.uk\. The document is UK£50 for 'subscribers', or UK£100 for non-subscribers.
I saw 2003 as a possible date for implementing it as an International Standard.
If nothing else, it's written more clearly than the QS9000 documents!

L

Lassitude

That's a REAL ripoff cost wise. 100 pounds is like $200 isn't it?

R

Roger Eastin

Yeah, Lassitude, you're right as far as the price goes from BSI. The cost from AIAG is 10 or 15 bucks! My question, though, is even if you get the standard, what can you do with it? There are not auditor qualifications as far as I know, nor items detailed such as audit frequency, customer specific areas,etc. It's funny - I would never have thought to check with BSI because I am so used to the AIAG being the clearing house for QS-style automotive standards (in the US anyway).

R

Richard Sadler

With respect to what you can do with the standard, the foreword states that "...a common global certification scheme has been developed and must be followed. Customer-specific requirements supplemental to this Technical Specification shall be incuded in audit in order obtain customer recognition of such certification."
Details of the certification procedure can be gained from organisations supporting the IATF.
Guess what?
This points you straight back to the AIAG.

M

Mike525

Are any of the big 3 accepting certification to TR16949? I thought I saw something from Ford saying TR16949 was acceptable as a Quality System standard, and they would recognize certification to the standard, but I can't seem to recall or locate the source.

R

Roger Eastin

I would be surprised if any of the Big 3 accepted registrations at this time. In fact, I am not sure how any auditor could register anyone at this point, because, as far as I know anyway, there are not auditor requirements published yet, nor are the customer requirements of TR16949 published yet. It seems as if we have heard more from the European part of the world with respect to registration. Anyone else?

P

pdboilermaker

Just purchased "TS16949" from ASQ. I understand that this is it, the final release that you can be registerd to. Cost was 24.00
Dean Hill

R

Roger Eastin

I think that, like the individual who bought TR16949 from BSI, you can purchase this standard from certain sources. However, although you didn't mention it in your reply, I don't think your copy from ASQ did not include any customer-specific requirements nor any auditor-specific (from the Big 3 anyway) requirements. I think that is why AIAG will produce the "official" copy of T16949. This copy WILL include these other requirements (just like QS9K does) and the AIAG version (according to my last conversation with them) will not be available until this fall.

P

pdboilermaker

You are correct, it does not contain customer specific requirements, and should not. This standard is sector specific, not customer specific. It is my understanding through talking with people at the ASQ that the problem that the AIAG ran into is that they went to print but with the DTR version. The standard is the standard, no customer specific requirements, you need to get them from the customer or keep your soon to be obsolete QS 9000 third edition around. PS when ISO 9000:2000 hits will this mean a QS 9000 fourth edition must follow? I mean the structure of the 2000 standard has changed dramatically since the 1994 version.

------------------

Top Bottom