How would you respond in a work setting?

B

biboy2012

Please share experiences (or give examples) about how you responded on the following situations:

a) Downplaying
b) Interrogating
c) Active listening
d) Recommending
e) Humoring
f) Critiquing

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: How did you respond?

Please share experiences (or give examples) about how you responded on the following situations:

a) Downplaying
b) Interrogating
c) Active listening
d) Recommending
e) Humoring
f) Critiquing

Context is important. In what setting?? Home? Work? Supervisor/Employee?

Stijloor.

B

biboy2012

Re: How did you respond?

Context is important. In what setting?? Home? Work? Supervisor/Employee?

Stijloor.
Thanks for seeking addtional information. I prefer work setting, but I welcome full range of possible responses for different settings.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Re: How did you respond in a work setting?

Why are you asking for this information / what use will you put it to?

A psychological study?
Writing a management textbook?
Job interview?
Other (please specify)

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource

a) Downplaying
b) Interrogating
c) Active listening
d) Recommending
e) Humoring
f) Critiquing

If someone downplays an important issue, I walk away for about 10 minutes, then come back after giving them some time to think about it. If I stick around and try to force the issue all I do is create a confrontation and the other person goes into defensive mode. By walking away and coming back it gives them (and me) time to think about what was said and re-formulate our thoughts.

If someone interrogates me, I (try) to remain absolutely calm with no emotion showing (this is not always successful, but I try). I answer all questions with full and very complete sentences usually putting the question back into the answer somehow.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

Years ago my employer sent me to a Crucial Confrontations class that felt like a breakthrough in personal and professional insight and competence. Its lessons were applicable to every level in the organization. I still listen to the audio version on CD sometimes - its lessons are timeless and when put into practice I improved with difficult conversations of both personal and professional nature. The site I linked offers used copies at a reasonable price.

I am not affiliated with Vital Smarts.

B

biboy2012

Why are you asking for this information / what use will you put it to?

A psychological study?
Writing a management textbook?
Job interview?
Other (please specify)
This will be incorporated in a presentation material on career coaching that I am preparing for our training team so that at the end of the training employees can demonstrate skills in active listening, asking questions, and giving feedback.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

This will be incorporated in a presentation material on career coaching that I am preparing for our training team so that at the end of the training employees can demonstrate skills in active listening, asking questions, and giving feedback.
In this case I would apply the exercises listed in some of the publications I referenced in my link, versus "re-inventing the wheel" for your training. If you can attend one of their courses it would be even better, in my view.

Top Bottom