The difference between DFMEA and PFMEA

G

Garfield_01 - 2011

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, just only visit. But now i have a question regarding the DFMEA and PFMEA. We are thr IC assembly and test subcontractor. Design is also one part of the processes. Now we have a problem with the incomplete DFMEA and the linkage to PFMEA. The concept of DFMEA and PFMEA is mixed up. The current design control columns are blank with the reason form R&D personnel that we have never run this package, so we don't have any idea of how the current design control ( Detection and Prevention) should go. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem. I'm a quality system engineer and I have to response to the customer CAR. Could anyone shed me light, pls?

Thanks in advance

Garfield 01

Y

Yew Jin

Re: The differentiate between DFMEA and PFMEA

You may refer to the below link on DFMEA and PFMEA thread......

http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=9602

PFMEA is applied and used when a product or process is in existence at the company to improve the Process performance by identifiying failure modes and make improvement to reduce RPN.:rolleyes:

DFMEA is applied and used to design or re-design a product or service from the ground up by studying all the possible failure modes and making improvements to reduce RPN.:)

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

Design controls are techniques applied in the design phase to detect a design error. Some examples are: Finite Element Analysis (FEA), tolerance stack up, beta testing, validation testing, kinematics, etc.

M

Michael Walmsley

See attached. There are control tips on the form that explains what goes in the columns. The second tab of the workbook contains examples of what goes into the "Design" Detective and Preventive controls columns and the "Process" Detective and Preventive controls columns. Note that the listings are not exhaustive. Note also that some preventive controls can be relocated to the detective controls columns.
As an example, in a DFMEA you could find Test info and software fault code info in the detective control column.

Hope this helps.:bigwave:

Attachments

• Examples.xls
    251 KB · Views: 905
G

Garfield_01 - 2011

Hello guys,

Thanks a lot. That's really useful. :)

Garfield_01

Top Bottom