How do I learn CMMI (Capability Maturity Model Integration)?

S

someshvar

Hi Folks,

Right now, I am working as Supplier Quality Engineer for GM.My responsibilities are on TS 16949.I also have Six Sigma exposure thanks to my previous employer GE.

However I know nothing about CMMI and pretty keen to learn it.My question how do i learn it? I have inquired at some of the SEI partner institute but they charge almost 40k INR for Introduction to CMMI V1.2, three days course. Is it really worth doing ? And how much would you lean in 3 days when your current role does not have any scope to implement it?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

D

Duke Okes

Re: How do I learn CMMI?

There are many books available on CMMI, but I would imagine if you Googled the term you'd find enough to satisfy your curiosity.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

For the sake of those who are saying, "Who? What?"
SEI says:
Capability Maturity Model® Integration (CMMI) is a process improvement approach that provides organizations with the essential elements of effective processes. It can be used to guide process improvement across a project, a division, or an entire organization. CMMI helps integrate traditionally separate organizational functions, set process improvement goals and priorities, provide guidance for quality processes, and provide a point of reference for appraising current processes.

Essentially, it is just a trademarked method of process improvement - really just the organization of steps to take - no guarantee of real improvement at the end of the process. It is NOT the only method and some folks even opine it is not the best.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Opinion:
I am always leery of new Quality initiatives which come with a new jargon to learn, making it exclusionary, versus inclusive, in being able to spread the system from person to person and organization to organization WITHOUT the intercession of the high priest of the movement (cult?)

Think of the Six Sigma movement which adopted jargon from ersatz Japanese martial arts schools and terms not accepted universally even in Japan, like "black belt" "green belt" "kaizen" "poka yoke" When all the junk language is filtered out, we learn there is no NEW thing in Six Sigma except a clever way to market the system.

This exclusionary jargon is antithetical to Deming's concept of a "System of Profound Knowledge" where all members of an organization are encouraged to learn about the organization and its "big picture" in plain, everyday terms easily communicated and understood throughout the organization without the need for a priesthood to inculcate the organization member into the new cult.

V

visvarthana

Hi,

The CMMI course you have mentioned is "official introduction course for CMMI V1.2" given by SEI and it is expensive. This course is eligibility criteria for becoming an Apprisal team member(audit group member).

However at this point, to know and practice CMMI you can join any professional organization who conducts courses on CMMI in periodical manner. In fact many Lead appraisers are conducting CMMI courses. Which will come around 6k to 9k. Moreover, CMMI has to be practiced. Unless otherwise it won't be much useful.

Hence take an introductory course offered by any good consulting services company.

Thanks
Vishnu

Hi Folks,

Right now, I am working as Supplier Quality Engineer for GM.My responsibilities are on TS 16949.I also have Six Sigma exposure thanks to my previous employer GE.

However I know nothing about CMMI and pretty keen to learn it.My question how do i learn it? I have inquired at some of the SEI partner institute but they charge almost 40k INR for Introduction to CMMI V1.2, three days course. Is it really worth doing ? And how much would you lean in 3 days when your current role does not have any scope to implement it?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Top Bottom