Computing Failure Torque for Helicoil Threads in 6061-T6 Aluminum

B

bills5

Can anyone tell me how to compute the maximum allowable torque for a 4-40 helicoil (.112 nominal length) in 6061-t6 aluminum?:bonk:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Computing Failure Torque of 6061-t6 Aluminum Threads

A Quick Bump!

Can someone help?

Thank you very much!!

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Computing Failure Torque of 6061-t6 Aluminum Threads

Can anyone tell me how to compute the maximum allowable torque for a 4-40 helicoil (.112 nominal length) in 6061-t6 aluminum?:bonk:

Don't know about calculating it, but the website states that the maximum is 48 oz-in for a 4(.112)-40 Heli-coil insert.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

I don't think there's any way to calculate the value because of the variables involved--thickness of material, the integrity of the existing threads, proper insertion of the Helicoil, etc.

B

bills5

i believe the 48in oz. given is the locking torque that the locking feature of the helicoil exerts on the inserted screw. (you'll notice that this number decreases with the number of insertions due to the fact the locking feature is spring-like and wears.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
i believe the 48in oz. given is the locking torque that the locking feature of the helicoil exerts on the inserted screw. (you'll notice that this number decreases with the number of insertions due to the fact the locking feature is spring-like and wears.

Agreed. I have also noticed that the chart only shows the torques for stainless steel - I missed that important note. :notme:

Top Bottom