Temperature Requirements for a Manufacturing Inspection Lab

G

gdixon1963

Hello!

I am a Quality Engineer for a plastic injection molding company that manufactures medical device components. I am trying to establish temperature limits for our quality inspection lab. I have reviewed many materials that note the 1931 standard of 20?C (68?F) +/-2? but a lot of the information is focused on calibration activities and accreditation of labs. I also have read where some were using 70? - 73?F in their facilities as their temperature target. For a manufacture like us performing dimensional inspections on our parts what is the requirement?

We just recently installed DicksonOne WiFI temp & RH data loggers and we have been averaging around 70 - 73?F in the inspection lab. Of course we are in Michigan and the heating units have been running a lot the past few months too. Can someone provide any input to this inquiry?

Thank you... Greg

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
For dimensional, 20 ?C(68 ?F). However, more importantly it should be stable, even if not at that temp. You are likely fine at 70 - 73. If the measurements are critical or you need high precision, you might want to apply corrections to the measurements for delta t for the measurement (in which case your temperature instruments should be calibrated).
Hope this helps.
Are you inspecting the plastic parts, or the (I assume, steel) molds?

G

gdixon1963

Thanks dgriffith!

Yes I was referring to plastic parts. I am more concerned that we are meeting the requirements for product inspection.

If anyone else has anything to add, it would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Thanks dgriffith!

Yes I was referring to plastic parts. I am more concerned that we are meeting the requirements for product inspection.

If anyone else has anything to add, it would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

There are no standard universal requirements. You can perform a simple experiment by taking measurements of typical parts on the shop floor and then in the lab after giving the parts time to normalize. Record the results and then you'll have justification for whatever decisions you make.

Top Bottom