How Can I Create a Bell curve in Excel 2007

B

bbrandon

I need some help can someone show me how to create a Bell curve that contains the following information in the attachment that I have posted, I have not done this before. I have attached my data to the post. I have excell 2007 and I can not figure out how to create a bell curve with this data or how to set it up. Very confusing. Can someone help me or show me how to do it.

Thank you

Brian

Attachments

• Data.xls
    18.5 KB · Views: 845

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: How Can I Create a Bell curve in Excell 2007

I need some help can someone show me how to create a Bell curve that contains the following information in the attachment that I have posted, I have not done this before. I have attached my data to the post. I have excell 2007 and I can not figure out how to create a bell curve with this data or how to set it up. Very confusing. Can someone help me or show me how to do it.

Thank you

Brian

Brian,

I did an advanced search on: "Normal distribution in Excel."

Look and see if there's some info you can use.

Stijloor.

Tim Folkerts

Trusted Information Resource

Brian,

There are two challenges before even getting started with fitting a bell curve to the data.

* The data does not seem to follow a bell curve to begin with. There is perhaps some slight rise in the middle, but there are larger variations from one bin to the next.

* The bins are different widths. The narrowest bins are about 1/3 the width of the widest bins. This would naturally put more items into the wide bins (although that does not necessarily be the case in the actual data). Figuring out how to properly fit a bell curve in that case will be CONSIDERABLY more difficult than if the bins are the same width.

Tim F

P.S. I am assuming that the "OD Size" is the way you are sorting the items (the 'bins') and the "Footage" is how much you got of that category.

M

mclaubee

If you just want to "draw" a bell curve, you may try to add a 4th or 5th order polynomial trendline to you data.

B

bbrandon

Thank you for quick responses, it did shine some light on the issue. Does any body know where I can locate the Analysis Tool pack to be loaded. :thanks::thanks::thanks:

S

S Johnson

Try "Tools", "Add Ins" and select it from the list. I think it is built into all Excel Programs, but it must be added using the Add In menu.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

I guess my question is what is the process? Maybe it should not fall into a normal distribution. Just seeing the term "O.D." makes me suspicious....

Sawtooth curve in a bell shaped hole? Doesn't fit...:cool:

Top Bottom