Definition and control of outsourced processes - Service Company

P

Phalcon

Hi All :bigwave:

During a resent audit we had a finding to clause 4.1 concerning control of outsourced processes. There were specific processes identified in the objective evidence. One of the specific items I am having trouble with is Pest Control. We are a service organization and tenants on a government instalation. We have no choice but to use the instalations maintenance personnel for these types of services (pest control, building maintenance). Are these concidered outsorced processes? If so how can we show control? Any help will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

D

Duke Okes

Re: Definition and control of outsourced processes

Hi All :bigwave:
During a resent audit we had a finding to clause 4.1 concerning control of outsourced processes. There were specific processes identified in the objective evidence. One of the specific items I am having trouble with is Pest Control. We are a service organization and tenants on a government instalation. We have no choice but to use the instalations maintenance personnel for these types of services (pest control, building maintenance). Are these concidered outsorced processes? If so how can we show control? Any help will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Anything that another organization does for your organization would be an outsourced process. Whether or not it is relevant to quality is another question. If you're in the food/drug, lodging, or other similar industries, then pest control would be. For many others, it wouldn't be. If it is it should be covered by section 7.4 Purchasing.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Are these considered outsourced processes?

As Duke mentioned above, as long as third parties or any parties other than yourself are involved, it is outsourcing.

If so how can we show control?

I am sure you have specific requirements in your line of business - such as chemicals used, frequency of application, time of application, area to apply, expected results, etc. Checking if these are being followed or fulfilled is exercising control over that service.

V

vanputten

No! No! No! Outsourced process do not automatically involve 7.4 purchasing. Processes can be outsourced without purchasing. Often purchasing is included but not always.

Also, even if you are required to use a specific outsource (service provider), it does not absolve the organization of controlling the outsourced.

What is required of the outsoruce? What did you receive? Do they match?

Does your organization care about the quality if the service provided? Why? What is it that the organiziton wants from the outsourcer? How do you know you got it?

V

vanputten

I define outsuorcing as a requested activity where the provider is outside of the scope of the QMS/BMS. The activity ususally can affect product conformtiy to requirements. The provider could be a department or organization within your own employer. It does not have to be a traditional "3rd party." The provider could be part of your employer but the provider is outside the scope of the QMS.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
I define outsuorcing as a requested activity where the provider is outside of the scope of the QMS/BMS. The activity ususally can affect product conformtiy to requirements. The provider could be a department or organization within your own employer. It does not have to be a traditional "3rd party." The provider could be part of your employer but the provider is outside the scope of the QMS.

Dirk, thanks for focusing into the details. :agree1: :agree1:

Added in edit: Also look at Dirk's previous post on the same topic here

Last edited:
Top Bottom