What is the difference between ISO 17025 and ANSI Z540.3

• Thread starter Precision Waterjet
  • Start date
P

Precision Waterjet

What is the difference between ISO 10725 and ANSI Z540.3? Where can I down load the ANSI Z540.3 standard?

AndyN

Moved On
Re: What is the difference between ISO 10725 and ANSI Z540.3

What is the difference between ISO 10725 and ANSI Z540.3? Where can I down load the ANSI Z540.3 standard?

Welcome to the Cove - we always ask new folks to take the time to perform a search of the forums, since the chances are, you're not the first to ask this question!

Come back and post if you don't get any luck with the search........

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Here is a link to an interesting PPT presentation that explains some of the differences.

Scroll down on this page to find more links.

Standards are ususlly subject to copyright restrictions and can be downloaded/purchased from the responsible organization's site or their representatives. Try www.ansi.org.

Stijloor.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource

First question to ask, are you accredited by a MRA signatory AB? (IAS, NVLAP, A2LA, L-A-B, ACLASS) If yes, then concentrate on Z540.3 Clause 5.3, which is for accredited calibration providers (aka calibration servicing component).....if you service military primarily, then you - MAY - be required to do the entire Z540.3, in which case, wait till the handbook is released in a couple of months.

Hope this helps.

DietCokeofEvil

Sorry, I have to resurrect this thread.

From what I understand, the Z540.1 is now obsolete and is being replaced with the Z540.3. I mentioned this in my internal audit, and our auditor says that this is not right, and that the Z540.3 is a completely different "animal" (in my auditors words) that the Z540.1. He also says we should be referencing Z540.1 on our certs.

I'm getting really frustrated on this because Z540.1 has been superceded, so using it goes against 17025 specs of using the most current standard. Can someone please help me on this???:confused::confused:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor

Simple facts:

ANSI/NCSL Z540-1-1994 has been superseded; however it may well still be required by your customers, and in any case will likely still be referenced for some years, as was MIL-STD-45662A before it.....

ANSI/NCSL Z540.3-2006 is the current live standard.....the Handbook is FINALLY out, as of a few weeks back.....but survey your customers.....

In terms of certs, you could likely not mention either and be OK.....after all, they are American National Standards.....but before dropping them.....survey your customers and see what they need.....

Sorry, I have to resurrect this thread.

From what I understand, the Z540.1 is now obsolete and is being replaced with the Z540.3. I mentioned this in my internal audit, and our auditor says that this is not right, and that the Z540.3 is a completely different "animal" (in my auditors words) that the Z540.1. He also says we should be referencing Z540.1 on our certs.

I'm getting really frustrated on this because Z540.1 has been superceded, so using it goes against 17025 specs of using the most current standard. Can someone please help me on this???:confused::confused:

T

TIMMYS - 2010

If you want a comparison then you need to get a copy of the Handbook for the Application of ANSI/NCSL Z540.3-2006; Requirements for the Calibration of Measuring and Test Equipment. There is a 17025:2005 vs Z540.3 comparison matrix in the back. Also, the handbook is very useful in updating your Calibration Quality Manual to the latest requirements. It can be found at the NCSLI website.

Top Bottom