Sustainability Reports - Is there any rule to publish company Sustainability Report

P

PE-2011

Hi,

Can anyone tell, is there any rule to publish sustainability report of company.

Regards:thanx:

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: Sustainability Report

Rule ... ? Perhaps no.
It can very well be in the Report on Corporate Governance within the Annual report of the company, and certified by the company chartered accountants.
Certain elements of sustainability like the environmental initiatives are mandatory within the Annual report.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Re: Sustainability Reports - Is there any rule to publish company Sustainability Repo

Your post is unclear. Are you asking if there are any mandates for companies to publish their sustainability reports or are you asking if there are any protocols to be followed by organizations that voluntarily want to publish their sustainability reports?

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Re: Sustainability Reports - Is there any rule to publish company Sustainability Repo

Hi,

Regards:thanx:

No, its not a rule but many organizations issue Sustainability Reports.

I would suggest you to refer Wikipedia reference-linkGlobal_Reporting_Initiative#Why_companies_and_other_organizations_do_sustainability_reports

There is also some good information on GRI Portal

What is sustainability reporting?
Sustainability reporting is a process for publicly disclosing an organization’s economic, environmental, and social performance. Many organizations find that financial reporting alone no longer satisfies the needs of shareholders, customers, communities, and other stakeholders for information about overall organizational performance.
The term “sustainability reporting” is synonymous with citizenship reporting, social reporting, triple-bottom line reporting and other terms that encompass the economic, environmental, and social aspects of an organization’s performance.

Hi,

As I find that you are from India, my answers are as follows:

1. No. It is not mandatory to publish a Sustainability Report in India
2. About 20 Indian Companies have published Sustainability Reports in the recent past; some of them are Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Infosys, L & T, Jubilant Life Sciences, Dr.Reddy's Laboratory, ITC, Reliance Industries, SIDBI etc. As you notice all of them are large companies
3. Even though CII and GRI have been promoting GRI Sustainability Reporting in India for many years, the response is very poor.
4. Unless it is made mandatory, it is unlikely that the Indian Industry will publish such reports voluntarily
5. Some Indian companies which have published GRI reports in the year 2009 shared their experience in our annual lecture series. You can watch these videos through the following link (not copyrighted and meant for public viewing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz2QmpExH0s. By watching the videos for all the six days you will come to know the Indian Experience in GRI Sustainability reporting.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

P

PE-2011

Sustainability Reports - Is there any rule to publish company Sustainability Repo

Dear Dr.Ramakrishnan and Mr.Ajit Basrur,

Thanks a lot for providing good information, and this is what I am looking for.

Yes, ofcourse I am an Indian, working as MR to one IT Company.

There was certain product compliance certificate and as a part of it we have to comply Social Responsibility too. While doing the process I found the details provided by you and go through it, but not sure is there any particular rule to comply it.

I believe sustainability report need to publish by an organization yearly basis, but any particular period? like April to March etc. - I do not know. I also feel sustainability report can include social accountability too.

I found there are different ways to fulfill social responsibility like GRI, Global Compact, EICC, SA 8000 or relevant own initiative.

If any organization take SA 8000 certification or relevant own initiative, they need to publish sustainability report?

If an organization initiated relevant own initiative, but not publishing sustainability report, is there any impact?

For those questions I am seeking hlep from any knowing person.

:thanx:

Hi,

Please download the GRI G-3 Guideline from the GRI Site (http://www.globalreporting.org/Home). The guideline will answer all the questions that you have raised.

While EICC, Global Compact and SA 8000 provide you the framework for addressing various issues covered under Sustainability, GRI Reporting is about communicating your organization's performance to various stakeholders.

The GRI G3 guideline gives you information on the periodicity, materiality etc., of the report.

SA 8000 does not require you to publish a sustainability report.

As I have informed you in my earlier post, there are only about 20 organizations which publish their Sustainability Reports periodically in India, whereas there are more than 5000 stock exchange registered companies in India. GRI reporting is yet to take off in India, even though CII and GRI India office have been trying their best to influence the Indian Industry to publish such reports. It is perfectly OK if you decide NOT to publish your CSR activities; someone may like to publish them for image building. For a GRI G3 Report you need more information than just a two page article on your CSR efforts.

Hope the above helps.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

P

PE-2011

hi, good morning. thank you very much

Top Bottom