Catalogue Part - Revision Level, Revision Dates, Design Record

G

Geese

Hello again,

I appreciate the help I've received. Here is another problem I find in the terminology that I could use a hand in understanding.

Design Record, Engineering Drawing Change Level, and Date

My understanding is that the design record is the engineering drawing and any written specifications. We have a catalogued part, so we provide the customer a drawing based on what they have specified in writing or verbal communication. Being a catalogued part that doesn't change, should there even be anything in the Engineering Drawing Change Level and Date blank.

Furthermore, the end customer has specified that we must update PPAP documentation to include what they call Revision B which we have no idea how it came to be seeing that our part does not change, and there has been no formal request for a customized part.

Nor do we have access to the final customer to find out. Contacting the final customer might jeopardize their relationship with their distributor by us jumping the fence, and the distributor has not contacted the customer to get the information from them. They just passed it up to us.

The relationship is as follows:
Our company -> Distributor -> Customer

M

Murph095

Even though it is a catalogued part you should still have production prints. The AIAG book states that "the supplier shall produce a hard copy (e.g. pictorial, geometric dimensioning & tolerancing (GD&T) sheets, drawing) to identify measurements taken. as for the change level and date, I would assume you could just pick any date before the PPAP submittal. If there have been no engineering changes than you could say it is revision A (production released) on whatever day. Hope this helps.

Murph

G

Geese

Thanks Murph,

I like all of the advice. I'm a little hesitant to put Revision (A) down though. The customer might kick it back up again asking what it is despite how obvious it may seem. Its little things like this I wish the PPAP manual would address but doesn't. E.g. it could say that the default for this blank on the PSW document is Revision A if no revisions have been made or just tell us to leave it blank. I'm going to lean on the side of leaving it blank for now as to create less confusion, and fill it in if its unsatisfactory.

I appreciate all the help.

M

Murph095

No problem buddy, that is where the majority of you info should come from. it is important to build a good professional relationship with your SQE, many of the issues that come up today about ouputs are directly traceable back to the supplier quality function for clarification.

Murph

G

Geese

Thanks Murph,

One more thing.
What is the SQE? I'm drowning in a sea of acronyms. :confused:

Theres a great quote from "Good Morning Vietnam" with acronyms. I'd place it here if I could remember it :D

M

Murph095

SQE = Supplier Quality Engineer, that is the title of my contact for supplier quality for GM anyways.

as for the quote, I think it was something like

"The VP is a VIP, so we'd better stand up on the QT ASAP - if the VP becomes MIA, we're all on KP!"

Murph

Top Bottom