Examples of successful 5S projects - Introducing 5S on the shopfloor and the offices

Crombes

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

we are trying to introduce 5S on the shopfloor and in the offices
there was a training for all people and although there were some examples
in the course , there is a very low input of new 5S ideas by the employees in general, sure we did a copy/paste of some examples in the course ( tools that are used by the operators do now have an exact spot ,...) but we do not see any new ideas.
I was wondering if anyone can show some examples of their 5S projects that succeed or does everybody experience the same problem ?

:(

qcman

Registered Visitor
You most likely know this already but a system is only as good as the people running it.If input from the people is absent I would look into why.Kind of like a new car with a bad starter - it wont start because one part of it is broke - fix the part don't junk the car.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Hi All,

we are trying to introduce 5S on the shopfloor and in the offices
there was a training for all people and although there were some examples
in the course , there is a very low input of new 5S ideas by the employees in general, sure we did a copy/paste of some examples in the course ( tools that are used by the operators do now have an exact spot ,...) but we do not see any new ideas.
I was wondering if anyone can show some examples of their 5S projects that succeed or does everybody experience the same problem ?

:(

You may want to check this forum: Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis. This has a lot of discussions and posts that might help you in your search on 5S and 6S

B

BobSchwabk

Re: Examples of successful 5S projects - Introducing 5S on the shopfloor and the offi

I did a Google on "5s,examples", and located a number of articles and pictures that can be reviewed for 5-s as well as ther Lean topics.

Bob Schwabik, LSSBB
VPMEP - Richmond, VA

P

peacewong

Re: Examples of successful 5S projects - Introducing 5S on the shopfloor and the offi

You can use some terms such as 3D's, 3Gen etc. Then give them a game about 5S.

W

wcsf - 2008

5S is a common sense but absent in most of people. You need to lead a small focus team to turn a worst office/area into model, and show them how 5S can help. All of us would like to see a clean and well organized working environment but just cannot break through our habits.

G

gszekely

5S is a common sense but absent in most of people.

Hello WCSF and all
I have to disagree with the above statment. Just go and visit these worker's home, and you will see that 99% of the cases they practice 5S. On the other hand 5S was practiced by my grandfather. Ex, when I took the rake to work with, and after finishing the work I had to put it back in the place where from I took it, and was designated by my grandfather as the place where it should be. If not, I was attentioned, and sometimes I was kicked in my pants.
So think about, what is missing from the above, from your system, and why ?
So from these: Goals, Roles, Rules, People, Discipline, Supervision
You have the goal as 5S implementation, but what about the other ?
Some experience:
- implement 5S on shop floor, but the operators newly hired re dressing in meeting office as the company didn't built up adequate dressing room for them, (cost reduction, but lead by example ?)
- you want to implement 5S in one area, but workers when going to other areas will se that nothing has a place for it
- you have done some 5S presentation, sent an e-mail that this should work, but you didn't work out the details (roles, rules), and there is lack of supervision.
Good luck, and please do not interpret or uderstood my words in a wrong way, this is just the shop floor voice.
Br
György

D

dna_leri

5S is a common sense but absent in most of people. You need to lead a small focus team to turn a worst office/area into model, and show them how 5S can help. All of us would like to see a clean and well organized working environment but just cannot break through our habits.

Agree with most of above.

5S is 'just' common sense, but in fact is present in most people. Sometimes what is missing is ownership and responsibility ("not my problem") or inertia ("I don't know where to start").

I agree with the suggested approach of leading a small focus team to show how this can be done and what can be achieved. We did this using our toolroom and took before (and after) pictures to show the difference, recognised the team after their success and this became the benchmark for the rest of the facility.

B

Benjamin28

I think the most practicle examples of 5S are taken from our homes. Take the kitchen for example, you will find that the majority of people organize their kitchen in alignment with 5S principles. Would you have your measuring spoons in a different area than the measuring cups, course not. Will you have the items you use most frequently in the easiest access area, most likely.

If you want examples that people can relate to this would be the area to use. We organize our homes so that we can find the things we use daily easily and so that we can store the things we use infrequently in an efficient and clean manner, this is natural behavior/common sense. For people who are slobs, even these people will keep their piles in some kind of order so that they can use the items they need with little agrivation/time wasted looking.

There are other examples floating around online where you'll find pictures of before/after 5S, these are good visuals as well which you could use.

Top Bottom