Distinction between Management Representative vs. Quality Manager Responsibilities

R

rickmcq

Does anybody have a clear distinction between the two? There is no specific mention of the responsibilities of a Quality Manager in ISO/TS 16949.

My take is that the MR is responsible for the effective implementation of a quality management system. This includes dealing with department managers who try to push the envelope, corrective actions are implemented when needed, required record keeping is being done, etc..

The QA manager deals mainly with the product making sure nothing gets out the door that doesn't meet requirements along with inspections, PPAP, etc..

This is just a nutshell distinction, of course.

Rick

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Distinction between Management Representative vs. Quality Manager Responsibilitie

Does anybody have a clear distinction between the two? There is no specific mention of the responsibilities of a Quality Manager in ISO/TS 16949.

My take is that the MR is responsible for the effective implementation of a quality management system. This includes dealing with department managers who try to push the envelope, corrective actions are implemented when needed, required record keeping is being done, etc..

The QA manager deals mainly with the product making sure nothing gets out the door that doesn't meet requirements along with inspections, PPAP, etc..

This is just a nutshell distinction, of course.

Rick

Hi Rick,
my contribution to your question.
Quality Mgr is not required as a professional role to comply with ISO TS, even tough this is can be a position in the organization chart of a company.
ISO TS requires Management representative ( already required in ISO 9001) that can also be the same person appointed as Quality Mgr, if there is one in the organization, otherwise the organization can have both: Mgmt representative ( as member of the top mgmt), that irrispectively his/her assignment does what ISO TS requires in the relative clause of mgmt responsibilities.
I would also like to remember that ISO TS requires personnel to be appointed as Customer representative, that is a peculiar requirement of only TS.
To recap the ideas , we could say that Mgmt representative has a more "political" role for Quality Mgmt , while Quality mgr is more "operative" ( for example being responsible of the internal audit program implementation and quality tools facilitation across the organization such FMEA, Control PLan, 8D, MSA, PPAP, APQP), in the case they are two different people in the organization.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

Last edited:
R

rickmcq

Re: Distinction between Management Representative vs. Quality Manager Responsibilitie

To recap the ideas , we could say that Mgmt representative has a more "political" role for Quality Mgmt , while Quality mgr is more "operative" ( for example being responsible of the internal audit program implementation and quality tools facilitation across the organization such FMEA, Control PLan, 8D, MSA, PPAP, APQP), in the case they are two different people in the organization.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

Hmmmm...a "political" job here in the United States involves incompetence, corruption and nothing gets done. I think I'll show your post to our MR. :D

Rick

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Hmmmm...a "political" job here in the United States involves incompetence, corruption and nothing gets done. I think I'll show your post to our MR. :D

Rick

Hi,
tks for replying.
My idea is that the term "political" is more related to the suggestion and the contribution to setting policies, quality objective, quality plan , quality strategy and so on, while "operative" is more related to translate these items in facts with value to improve processes , increase customer' s satisfaction and increase business. Excuse me if I was not too clear in the verbiage of the my post but I intended what I am saying in this post, trying to be more effective.
:bigwave:

Last edited:
V

vanputten

There are no titles listed any where in TS except for Mngmt Rep. At a minimum the Mngmt Rep has the responsibilities listed. An organization may not even have a Quality Manager. And if they do, the organization can define whatever responsibilities needed for effectiveness.

Top Bottom