Predictive Maintenance - Confused about what can be considered predictive maintenance

M

mslet94

We recently completed one of our ISO/TS16949 Surveillance audit and I am a little confused about what can be considered predictive maintenance....our major activity toward predictive maintenance is tool changes in our equipment. The equipment manages cycle counts and notifies operator that machine has reached tool life. The tool is then changed out...down time reports and cycle count reports are used to evaluate tools life to improve machine effectiveness

OK ...our auditors comment was tool change is not predictive maintenance he went on to explain the traditional predictive maintenance techniques...vibrations test, infrared, oil analysis...ect. we don't do any of these methods and don't have a need to

so my question...cycle counts use to establish change tools is this predictive or preventive maintenance

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Predictive Maintenance

Hi mslet94 and welcome to the Cove,

I moved your thread to the automotive standards board.

Although I can't help you with your question, I can direct you to the bottom of this page where you will find links to similar threads that may answer your question.

Good Luck!!

V

vanputten

Hello Mslet94:

There are other threads on the cove with the exact same question.

After you learn the difference between crisis maintenance, preventive maintenance (what you do) and predictive maintenance, I would very much like to know if you still stand by the following statement:

"we don't do any of these methods and don't have a need to"

How can you determine the value of predictive maintenance if you don't even know what it is? Predictive maintenacne can be VERY economical with a large return on investment.

Regards,

Dirk

M

mslet94

Oh Dirk but I do agree with you, previous facilities I worked for did many of these techniques but their equipment was in some cases 15 yrs old the company I work for now the oldest line is 8yrs old equipment and is in the process of being decommissioned because the program life is up, most of our lines are 2 to 4 yrs old and have life cycles of maybe 6 yrs at best.
And I am here trying to learn more...to make sure what ever additional activates we decide on are value add for our company and yes I need to look at ROI..trust me I know we can do better but I am still work on all the how’s

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Oh Dirk but I do agree with you, previous facilities I worked for did many of these techniques but their equipment was in some cases 15 yrs old the company I work for now the oldest line is 8yrs old equipment and is in the process of being decommissioned because the program life is up, most of our lines are 2 to 4 yrs old and have life cycles of maybe 6 yrs at best.
And I am here trying to learn more...to make sure what ever additional activates we decide on are value add for our company and yes I need to look at ROI..trust me I know we can do better but I am still work on all the how’s

Decommisioning the equipment may actually qualify as predictive maintenance, depending on motive. I assume you don't arbitrarily decommission it. Other basic things may be useful. If, your downtime stats show there is no maintenance related downtime, then you could make a statisical case for not needing it, as well.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Re: Predictive Maintenance - Confused about what can be considered predictive mainten

We recently completed one of our ISO/TS16949 Surveillance audit and I am a little confused about what can be considered predictive maintenance....our major activity toward predictive maintenance is tool changes in our equipment. The equipment manages cycle counts and notifies operator that machine has reached tool life. The tool is then changed out...down time reports and cycle count reports are used to evaluate tools life to improve machine effectiveness

OK ...our auditors comment was tool change is not predictive maintenance he went on to explain the traditional predictive maintenance techniques...vibrations test, infrared, oil analysis...ect. we don't do any of these methods and don't have a need to

so my question...cycle counts use to establish change tools is this predictive or preventive maintenance

Of course tool changes based on hours or cycles is predictive, especially if based on statistical data such as Mean Time To Failure.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Re: Predictive Maintenance - Confused about what can be considered predictive mainten

This is from Brad's definition book. Maybe some experts here have much better definitions.

Preventive maintenance are activities to minimize non-scheduled/ emergency maintenance activities. If you perform the preventive maintenance of greasing the bearings (preventive maintenance; planned/scheduled; doesn't interrupt production), you won't have to change out the bearings and the motor because it froze up (non-scheduled/emergency maintenance; non-planned; an interruption; can be very expensive).

Predictive maintenance is knowing when to grease the bearings. You have assessed through # of runs, labor hours, # of batches, etc., or more sophisticated methods like Mean Time Between Failures, what a reasonable time is to execute preventive maintenance.

harry

Trusted Information Resource

To me it's none of the above. Tool changes directly affects the quality of your output and is part of good manufacturing practice. No, I wouldn't lump it together with maintenance.

Preventive maintenance is both scheduled and planned - what to do and when or how often to carry out. Whereas, predictive maintenance is reactive. It is maintenance carried out on top of preventive maintenance and most importantly in response to signals such as vibration, noise, rise in temperature or indications shown on monitoring equipments.

Example - You send your car for regular service at say interval of every 5,000 km and change the timing belt at every 75,000km. These are preventive maintenance. If you were caught in a traffic jam today and you noticed that the temperature rises above the normal range - your mechanic checked it and told you there's a minor leak in the radiator and had it repaired. This is predictive maintenance. As a result of a signal (rise in temperature) you take steps to trace (predictions based on knowledge and previous experience) and rectify the fault to prevent further and more serious damage.

Top Bottom