What is the CQI (Chartered Quality Institute)?

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
The Chartered Quality Institute has recently asked me to contribute a monthly "Agony Uncle" piece dealing with questions from members.

AndyN

Moved On
CQI was known as the 'Institute of Quality Assurance', of which I was a member, back in 1985 or so.

I think it was during the 90's that the institute sought to make its membership more 'attractive' to the job market, since most professional institutes are 'chartered' (through a kind of Royal 'recognition') and they set a range of membership qualifications, in line with the other institutes. This gave a sort of parity with other institutes, and hence helped give the quality profession a sort of equality with professional engineers (of all disciplines).

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
What is the CQI in 2007?

So it's sorta an English ASQ?

Anyone else with current details?

Paul Simpson

Re: What is the CQI in 2007?

So it's sorta an English ASQ?

Anyone else with current details?

Yes, I should have explained. :bonk:

CQI was the IQA (as Andy explained). They are like the ASQ (Can't comment on Wes's question as I serve on a couple of committees (local branch (equivalent to ASQ chapters) etc.)but let's say - they face the same challenges!).

They were formed in 1919 as an Institute of Inspection. The Royal Charter is something peculiarly British and applies to organizations like the BBC, cities in the UK and (as here) professional institutions. The reason for IQA becoming chartered as the CQI is to move to the next stage of obtaining personal chartered status - so members like me can apply to become Chartered Quality Professionals (or something!).

CQI publish a monthly magazine (Qualityworld), a monthly e-newsletter (Forward) and an on-line Journal - again all similar to ASQ.

The Agony Uncle bit I do is for Forward - hence the thread!

Hope this helps .... if I think of anything else, like Arnie, I'll be back!

P.S. Almost forgot, they developed (and run through separate management) IRCA.

T

TamTom

Hello,

are the CQI is the same that create the manuals like CQI-8 and 9? If yes why use the American Automotive Group a Britsh Institute?

Regards,

Tamara

Paul Simpson

Hi, Tamara. No the CQI don't create these manuals. The CQI were renamed a year ago from the Institute of Quality Assurance (IQA).

Last edited:

Paul Simpson

Is there anyone out there?

I have recently taken another (unpaid) role with the CQI that involves me providing guidance on the direction and purpose of the Institute.

The main focus of the role is to guide the direction and content of Quality World magazine. Click here to have a look at some online content.

I have a couple of questions - perhaps people can post their responses:
  1. Are you a member of CQI (and if so what grade?)
  2. What are your thoughts on the value of membership?
  3. What else would you like to see from your membership?
  4. What country are you in?

For those who aren't members please feel free to contribute to what you would like to see from your local institute / association.

As far as I know we're not planning to set up branches in other countries .... but if the demand is there ..... :lol:

Also if you are interested in contributing an article to the magazine please PM me with your contact details and I will pass them (and any articles) to the editor.

T

tyker

I have a couple of questions - perhaps people can post their responses:
  1. Are you a member of CQI (and if so what grade?)
  2. What are your thoughts on the value of membership?
  3. What else would you like to see from your membership?
  4. What country are you in?

1/ Yes MCQI

2/ It's b****y expensive. I've just had my renewal invoice for 2008 and may need to tap you for a loan.
Seriously, the main value for me is the ability to network at the branch meetings, the job postings in the magazine/web site (although I've never got a job through them) and the opportunity to keep up to date - again via branch events and the magazine.

3/ I'd like to see a better balance in the magazine between academic and practical stuff. Currently there's a lot of the former and not enough of the latter. I appreciate the need for new thinkers to have an outlet for their thoughts but I also need info that I can pinch and implement now. The forums in the web site are a bit esoteric at times but I don't mind that as I can use the Cove for the practical gen. Also, I don't understand the purpose of Quality Professional magazine.

4/UK

Good luck with the new job.

Top Bottom