Definition TPM (Total Productive Maintenance) vs. TQM (Total Quality Management)

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
It's not. TPM can be a part of TQM. TPM is a 'program' or set of tools. TQM (per se) is a 'philosophy'.

You have some reading to do!

V

vishal

hi - yes i know that i have some reading to do!
i've got a university management essay to o which is - "How is TPM similar to TQM"?

Help please!!!!

Marc

Leader
As I said, I don't percieve them to be alike. I'd say your thesis is a false hypothesis. But - I'm not a TQM expert.

Answer these 2 questions:

1. What is the definition of TPM?
2. What is the definition of TQM?

V

vishal

so is this correct -

TPM works together with TQM!
So when trying to discuss the similarities between the two, all i can say is that TQM works with TPM to be effective.

when talking about similarities between the two:
employee invlovment
employee empowerment
both long term strategies
both top-level support
??? - anything else?

Marc

Leader
Not exactly. Again I ask you to answer these 2 questions (you have 10 minutes...) :

1. What is the definition of TPM?
2. What is the definition of TQM?

V

vishal

Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) is the Japanese approach to maximise the effectiveness of the facilities that are used within businesses. In general, TPM aims at getting the most efficient use of equipment and establishes a total PM system including maintenance prevention, preventive maintenance, and improvement-related maintenance for the company.

Total Quality Management (TQM) is a way of thinking and working, that is concerned with meeting the needs and expectations of customers. It attempts to move the focus of quality away from being a purely operational activity into a major
concern for the whole organisation. TQM is a philosophy of organisation-wide commitment to continuous improvement, with the focus on team-work, increasing customer satisfaction, and lowering costs. This concept of TQM is very similar to the workings of TPM - in that customer satisfaction is the ultimate aim.

TQM is ultimately an umbrella term that covers every quality and productivity initative that you make in the organisation.

Marc

Leader
when talking about similarities between the two:
employee invlovment
employee empowerment
both long term strategies
both top-level support
??? - anything else?
That sounds like you have it. Maybe add Teams (typically multifunctional) and Continuous improvement.

By the way - where did you copy the definitions from?

V

vishal

i got them from several books -

i'm thinking about putting them into the essay - do u think i'll get in trouble - cause it looks as if i've copied it out of a book?

Marc

Leader
Well, I was in college 25 years ago. I know that it did not appear to be 'your writing style' at all. In my days you could include anything as long as you gave citation reference in footnotes (or somewhere). I would start out with the definitions to establish what each is and then state your premise. From there go into your 'arguement'.

Top Bottom