What is the difference between Paper, Article, Review and Blog?

v9991

Trusted Information Resource
how do they differ wrt objective- audience - scope - influence etc.,
which one of them carry better weightage to the writer.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: difference between paper - article - review - blog?

Article = A write up
When presented in a major conference = Paper
If the write up is about an article / book = Review
If it is put up on the web = blog

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: difference between paper - article - review - blog?

Article = A write up
When presented in a major conference = Paper
If the write up is about an article / book = Review
If it is put up on the web = blog
I agree with the general definitions.

Generally, a paper presented at a conference conveys more "stature" and reputation, but an article in a peer reviewed (before publication is allowed) magazine or journal conveys bigger ["better" is subjective] reputation, simply because more people can see it over a period of time and can use it as a citation in other professional writing, having confidence that the peer review has eliminated error and bias [puffery] sometimes found in presentations even at major conferences. (I recall one conference in the recent past where the MAIN speaker delivered what amounted to a sales pitch for his consulting company and was the subject of ridicule during the cocktail reception that evening [which the speaker did NOT attend.])

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Paper: Ususally an academic composition about a particular technical subject; may be delivered at a conference or published in a journal

Article: A written piece published in a periodical such as a newspaper or magazine

Review: Usually a type of article; a critical analysis of something.

Blog: A blog is an aggregation of posts (similar to articles) that might deal with a single subject or a variety of topics.

The weight each type of composition carries depends entirely on the target audience and what the author hopes to accomplish. If publishing original research results is the objective, a peer-reviewed journal or a conference with published proceedings would be the mediums of choice. It all depends on what the goal is.

Last edited:

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
All good answers but I would like to add a few of my views on this.

Papers can be the written piece of work that either supports a presentation at a conference or a written piece of work that gets published in a journal or other academic or professional publication. If the former it often gets written up in the proceedings for the conference and can therefore be referenced in later research / papers by others. This is just the same as a paper in a journal. It does not have to have wide readership as it is down to the later users of the paper to find it (that's called literature review I guess). Obviously there are some journals and conference proceedings that are more prestigious with the resulting increase in weight for the papers / articles contained in them.

Articles, in my opinion, are writings that get published in a journal, professional magazine or even a glossy on your newsagent's shelves. The prestige or weight of the article is down to the author but is typically clear by the journal it is in. If you have published something of a medical nature in a homeopathic magazine it probably (or perhaps should) carry less weight than in say the Lancet or the British Medical Journal.

Reviews are either a comparison of a range of similar items (as seen in hobby magazines, fashion magazines, technology magazines, etc.) or a piece of writing collating or comparing the research in a topic at this time. The latter version is basically someone or some research group's look into the level of knowledge in a topic. This is probably academic in nature and could be published in a journal or in a paper in its own right. It is probably of more weight than the magazine gear review and possibly as much weight as a paper or article in a journal.

In my opinion a blog is an online set of writings, musings and ponderings by someone for their own entertainment or for the benefit of their followers. The weight of the blog depends solely on the weight of the blogger's reputation. If Deming was a blogger he would obviously have a lot more weight in his blog than a lot of people on here being considered a quality guru. However comparing the weight of blogs by a collection of "gurus" in a particular field would basically come down to the opinion of the reader as to which camp they position themselves in. Are you a Crosby, Deming or Juran follower? I reckon it would be interesting if these people had been around in the era of the blogosphere as to whether they would have blogged and whether the blogs would have increased or decreased their reputations.

J

Johnsonmandis

A business blog is an current series of (usually) short articles that you simply publish on-line. it's some way to indirectly market your product or services by sharing connected added info and tips. Your blog is wherever you show your experience to your market niche - it's wherever you educate interested people and provides them info that may facilitate them. this is often not wherever you create a right away sales attractiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom