Food Safety Management System Manual

Raffy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi everyone,
I was very new in the Food Industry and it was really a hard time for me to understand this kind of system. My task is to work on the documentation. What could be the main content for Food Safety Management System Manual?
Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Raffy :cool:

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
By Food Safety Management System Manual, do you mean a Quuality Management System manual for a food company?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Hi everyone,
I was very new in the Food Industry and it was really a hard time for me to understand this kind of system. My task is to work on the documentation. What could be the main content for Food Safety Management System Manual?
Why would you create a Food Safety Manual if ISO 22000 does not require one? Look at ISO 22000 paragraph 4.2.1 to see the documents required.

Raffy

Hi Marc,
Basically, I don't know what could be the proper way of addressing the Manual for Food Safety.
Thank you very much.:thanx:
Best regards,
Raffy:cool:

Raffy

Hi Sidney,
I understand what the paragraph (4.2.1) is telling, however, I had a direct order coming from my boss that I have to create a manual as reference for the company. That's why I'm desperate at that time now I don't have to create one. I would try to explain and I hope that she understands.:biglaugh:
Thank you very much.:thanks:
Best regards,
raffy:cool:

Randy

Super Moderator
Then make it look like a combined Quality manual and a Safety Manual....remember this isn't a Quality System though.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Then make it look like a combined Quality manual and a Safety Manual....remember this isn't a Quality System though.
Randy, this is not occupational health and safety. This is Food safety. When it comes to food, there is no "quality unsafe food". Safety is a "sine qua non" condition for a quality food product.
Yo quiero Taco Bell....pero sin e.Coli
bad.gif

Randy

Super Moderator
OK....I'll forget my 22000 training and try to remember this is about the management of safety related to the food chain from initial generation to consumer with all tha HAACP stuff in it and deals with the management of risk.

D

dgreen07

You want to look closely at ISO 13485 and results of previous FDA audits. In your "product realization" and "training" sections be sure to address FDA Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP's). Look especially at their documentation dings and make sure that the quality manual addresses those areas.

The QM is essentially just a restatement of the standard's requirements. Where it says "the company shall", you say "we do..." and point to a procedure that provides more details and a roadmap to specific instructions and forms. The QM then becomes a document map for future auditors.

I'm bringing a food packaging plant into ISO/FDA compliance. It's a job!

There are consulting companies out there -- for $25,000 they will bring in a team of auditors, identify all of the compliance gaps, and leave you with a precise list of what you need to do. You have to do your homework first by writing a Quality Manual, Quality Policy, Quality Objectives, and the QMS procedures. It's also a good idea to have the company-specific procedures drafted if not completed. This might be a good investment considering that failure to comply with FDA requirements could mean going out of business.

Good luck!

Dgreen07

Randy

Super Moderator
You want to look closely at ISO 13485 and results of previous FDA audits. In your "product realization" and "training" sections be sure to address FDA Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP's). Look especially at their documentation dings and make sure that the quality manual addresses those areas.

The QM is essentially just a restatement of the standard's requirements. Where it says "the company shall", you say "we do..." and point to a procedure that provides more details and a roadmap to specific instructions and forms. The QM then becomes a document map for future auditors.

I'm bringing a food packaging plant into ISO/FDA compliance. It's a job!

There are consulting companies out there -- for $25,000 they will bring in a team of auditors, identify all of the compliance gaps, and leave you with a precise list of what you need to do. You have to do your homework first by writing a Quality Manual, Quality Policy, Quality Objectives, and the QMS procedures. It's also a good idea to have the company-specific procedures drafted if not completed. This might be a good investment considering that failure to comply with FDA requirements could mean going out of business.

Good luck!

Dgreen07

The originator is in the Phillipines, not NY and the question is related to a manual for food safety and not implementation.

Sidney gave good advice, just provide the required documentation and don't make any extra work.

In answer....the proper way raffy would be to do it in the most effective way for you that meets whatever the requirements are.

Keep it simple. Keep it usable. Keep it understandable.

Top Bottom