What Constitutes a Document Change? Company Logo Revision

V

vsedriver

Our company recently revised our logo. As ISO EMS rep I want to put the new logo on all our forms. Can I just update the logo or does this require a "Document Change Request Form" and include a revision number?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: What constitues a Document Change?

Our company recently revised our logo. As ISO EMS rep I want to put the new logo on all our forms. Can I just update the logo or does this require a "Document Change Request Form" and include a revision number?

A logo may make the document look "nice."
The intent of the document is not changed.
No document change request required.
It would be a waste of time and money.

Stijloor.

V

vsedriver

Thank you. That's what I thought but was advised that any change needed a DCR form. I will go ahead and update the 'look'.

P

potdar

I suggest you should go ahead and write a blanket DCR declaring that the look of the header for all forms in current use (attach list with current revision) will be modified wef some record date (sample attached). A fresh revision number is not being issued to record this change. Present stocks with current header will remain acceptable till the existing stocks are consumed.

This will help you put a record of the fact and date of change in place and also save unnecessary paperwork.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Re: What Constitutes a Document Change?

Just change the logo. No biggie, unless you've documented something else in your policies or procedures.

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: What Constitutes a Document Change?

Does it have anything to do with the contents, use or meaning of the document itself?

To be honest, as an auditor your logo, unless there would be some environmental impact involved or loss of control, would be one of the last things I'd even care about.

I just went through this same scenario with a couple clients, one day one logo, the next day another....Wham-Bam, just as potdar said above

D

ddunn

While in general changing your logo is no big deal, I would check to ensure that it really is no big deal. One company I worked for changed their logo color due to copyright infringement problems. All documents and forms with the old logo had to be removed from use and reissued with the new logo. Since there was an interchangeability issue the new documents and forms needed a new revision to ensure the old ones were not used. Sometimes a change like this may not affect the technical content but does affect the legal information.

A blanket DCR is a good idea. That way the change impact can be evaluated and documented. The DCR may seem like a waste of time and money but it could save a lot of headaches down the road.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
just to throw something else into the mix, a document change request form is not a requirement in the standard...this would be something that is specified by the organization. (for any new folks who may be trying to learn the requirements of the standard)

P

potdar

just to throw something else into the mix, a document change request form is not a requirement in the standard...this would be something that is specified by the organization. (for any new folks who may be trying to learn the requirements of the standard)

Steel,

If the OP talks about a DCR, the QMS in his organisation needs it. It may be a superfluous requirement, but not an NC.

I think we should offer him a way to handle the situation while meeting his requirements without much trouble. Two streams of thought seem to emerge - no DCR and blanket DCR.

Are you suggesting a third - change in QMS?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Nope, just pointing out that a change request form is purely a requirement of the organization, not a document required by ISO standard. ETA: Also, just to be clear, I never suggested that using a document change request form is a nonconformance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom