Six Sigma green belt and black belt online certification question

B

buckwolf

I started this thread to avoid hijacking the online college thread.

I have been researching different options for my Six Sigma green belt and black belt certifications. My current company will not pay for the courses; so obviously, I would like to do it for as little money as possible. I have looked at attending some courses at the University of Utah from which I would emerge victorious with my new certifications. Unfortunately, the total cost to progress to black belt level would be around $10,000.00. I have also located a couple of online courses. One is from ASQ and would I assume just be the exams, the other is from another source. If I chose either of these options, I would be able to do it for around $1500.00. When I look at the numbers I can only assume that the difference is a lack of instruction. I currently work as a Lean Coordinator and I am rally just looking to boost my skills and resume. Any advice would be much appreciated.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
I looked into it briefly a while back and ran across these guys as a relatively low-cost option:

http://www.value-train.com/

I have no idea about the quality of the course. I think they tour the country but I believe they also offer some web-based options.

I'd like to hear what options you come across and how things turn out so please post back as things unfold.

S

Sandra Gauvin

I wonder if the difference is that you learn the methodologies and tools but don't have to apply it to receive a certificate for the lesser priced course?

I received greenbelt training through a company I worked for at the time....and was told the training was very expensive. Each greenbelt was given a company sponsored project and was required to save the company $50,000 before you were certified as a green belt....I believe black belts had to save the company $100,000. After the initial training, we continued to attend classes every few weeks so that we had guidance throughout our project.

Sandra

J

Jeff Bursett

I am also looking for affordable/effective training, and unfortunately there is a sea of online training out there and not many reviews.

I am considering the Pyzdek Institute Acuity Institute. They seem relatively affordable and seem like they cover the BOK well.

Good luck, and please share if you find something you are satisfied with.
Jeff

Wesley Richardson

Wes R
Trusted Information Resource
There are several reasons why people seek certifications. Some just want the piece of paper, and hopefully, most are actually seeking to demonstrate a level of understanding. Regardless of whether a person has the certificate or not, nothing replaces the experience of doing various projects, making mistakes, and applying the tools. Let me assume that you wish to gain some knowledge about the tools, and then will apply that information.

One relatively low cost option is to obtain the Six Sigma Green Belt (CSSGB) and Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) certifications through ASQ. Note for the ASQ CSSBB, you will need to submit information about one or two completed projects, in order to qualify to sit for the exam. Do the CSSGB first, it is much easier than the CSSBB, and also easier to meet the requirements.

Instead of taking an ASQ online course, my suggestion is that there are three options, depending upon your current knowledge, and ability to study on your own. The first is to take a refresher course offered by your local ASQ Section, for the specific certification that you are seeking. This will also provide and instructor to help guide you in the process, and a person to help answer your questions. The second option is to do self study, but with the support of a study group. The disadvantages of the study group are that you may have difficulty connecting with others that want to study together, and it is possible that no person in the group can answer your questions. The third is to study on your own.

With all three of these options, I suggest buying the ASQ Six Sigma Green Belt Handbook, the Quality Council of Indiana (QCI), Six Sigma Green Belt Primer, and the QCI CSSGB Practice Exam CD. The same three items for the CSSBB Exam.

Set up a realistic study schedule, and stick to it. There are many suggestions here on Elsmar Cove, and on the ASQ Discussion Boards, about exam preparation for the ASQ Certifications. Chances are your questions have already been answered. You should also read all of the ASQ Frequently Asked Questions topics on the ASQ web site in the Certification area.

Please note that I am employed by QCI, so have a biased opinion in my suggestion of the materials to use.

Preparing for the certification exam, you should learn many tools and concepts, whether or not you pass the actual exam. After you do pass, be sure to apply the knowledge, and also share your knowledge.

Wes

Top Bottom