BS 18001 Implementation Training Providers

G

Griff23

Hello All,

This week I was informed our US office needs to be BS 18001 certified by sometime in 2016. To be honest, I have very little knowledge on Health and Safety management systems and the timeline is not great as I have several other major projects happening in 2014 and 2015.

So, I need some basic BS 18001 training and some on how to implement BS 18001. I have tried on-line classes before but I'm more of a face-to-face interactive learner.

Does anyone have any suggestions on companies in the Massachusetts area that provide classroom training for BS 18001? And/or suggestions for starting this process?

Thank you
Griff23

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: BS 18001 Implementation Training

Here's the deal...2016? You need to hold off until ISO 45001 is released and go for it instead because 18001 is being eliminated. Going for 18001 my not be a good use of resources.

If you know about quality management systems you already have a majority of the knowledge you need to do a health & safety system and you sure don't need to be some kind of safety expert

G

Griff23

Re: BS 18001 Implementation Training

Hi Randy,

For some reason coprorate (UK Based) will not wait for ISO 45001. I still have a little time to try and convince them so I will keep trying.

I'm glad to hear that my QMS knowledge is a big chunk of health & safety (BS18001 or ISO 45001).

Thanks for the input Randy!

R

Reg Morrison

You can find OHSAS 18001 Training information and additional resources @ http://18000store.com/ohsas-18001-compare-products.aspx

No affiliation with that organization or their services.

Anything you do for OHSAS 18001 will be forwardly compatible with ISO 45001.

Randy

Super Moderator
Everybody's training is pretty much the boring same stuff more often than not delivered by someone lacking real world experience and little or no experience at all from being a 3rd party certification auditor so you'll get some really weird advice in many cases.....I see it all the time, not knowing whether to laugh or cry

R

Reg Morrison

Everybody's training is pretty much the boring same stuff more often than not delivered by someone lacking real world experience and little or no experience at all from being a 3rd party certification auditor so you'll get some really weird advice in many cases.....I see it all the time, not knowing whether to laugh or cry
That's a pretty dim assessment of training providers out there.

In my experience, management system training providers tend to follow the same distribution that we see with auditors and consultants:

5-10% exceptional,
20% good
20-30% average
the balance, mediocre or worse....:notme:

Randy

Super Moderator
That's a pretty dim assessment of training providers out there.

In my experience, management system training providers tend to follow the same distribution that we see with auditors and consultants:

5-10% exceptional,
20% good
20-30% average
the balance, mediocre or worse....:notme:

Well you know what, I probably have more hands on experience than you and many others from both the 3rd party auditing perspective and from delivering accredited courses, so when someone spends a couple thousand dollars for training anything but exceptional is not acceptable. When I was qualifying instructors for my previous employer I refused to sign off on folks that had no hands on with the subject matter and absolutely would not let someone teach a Lead course if they themselves could not meet the qualifications for Lead by either my employers requirements or an accreditation body like IRCA or RABQSA (now Exemplar)......If you haven't done it, you sure as *ell ain't gonna teach it....At least not in a program that I managed

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
I am a great advocate of training (see my signature) and like all of us I expect any training I attend to be of a high standard. Public training courses for the implementation of management systems does not always work as well as they should because what most people need is specific advice which cannot always be given on this type of course.

Have you considered getting a local consultant to come in and provide some 1 to 1 training? That way you can get him/her to get you moving in the right direction and the perhaps call on them again in a few months time for an update.

R

Reg Morrison

When I was qualifying instructors for my previous employer I refused to sign off on folks that had no hands on with the subject matter
Interesting. So, the training instructors must have hands-on, discipline specific knowledge, but the people actually implementing the system at their respective organizations, don't need to?
If you know about quality management systems you already have a majority of the knowledge you need to do a health & safety system and you sure don't need to be some kind of safety expert
So, someone with a quality assurance background who has no (or very limited) knowledge of safety laws and regulations would be deemed competent to implement an OHSAS-18001 compliant OHSMS? :confused:

Top Bottom