Linear measuring device that can accurately measure 0.00001 or better - Suggestions?

J

Jeremy S

Our company is currently using a Pratt and Whitney model A super micrometer for doing our calibrating of plug gages. I am currently trying to fill out a request form for a new linear measuring device, all I have found are the new Pratt and Whitney Labmaster/Supermicrometers the Helios HelioCOM, and a couple models of the Mahr Measuring machines. I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for a device that can accurately (.00001 or better) measure (threaded and plug) ID, (threaded and plug) OD, indicators, and maybe even micrometers, but that isn’t necessary.

R

rock

I may have some suggestions but would rather discuss them outside this forum. My email address is in my profile.
Mike

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Perhaps one of the newer version laser super mics would work well, or a high end vision system.

Q

qualitytrec

Hershal said:
Perhaps one of the newer version laser super mics would work well, or a high end vision system.
Do they make those with that kind of accuracy?

R

Ryan Wilde

Actually, if you have a Model A supermic, there is a company in California that will upgrade it with a laser that makes its error ± (1.5 µin + 1 µin/in) basic accuracy. I have one, and I can hold to ± 5 µin total instrument uncertainty, even taking in temperature, etc.

The price of the upgrade is MUCH lower than buying a new machine. If you want the name of the company, e-mail or PM me here in the forums.

Ryan

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
measurement solution

Marc said:
Anyone here have any recommendations?

Marc, You have resurrected this thread after 3 years. Is there a possibility this person already found a solution? :D
Anyways, To answer the question from a metrology point of view, Horizontal Metroscope is a good option. The user also wants to measure thread plug and ring gauges. Horizontal Metroscope has these attachments (ID thread measurement has limitations. I remember starts from size 1/2" or M12). There are only very few reputed ones making this equipment to this accuracy. To name a few: Carl Zeiss-SIP Germany, Trimos Switzerland.

Regards,
Govind.

G

Gweber

I think Davis Inotek Instruments has a device that can accurately measure 0.00001 or better. we've sent ours out to them...I think they sell the devices as well.

W

wallyqc

Jeremy S said:
Our company is currently using a Pratt and Whitney model A super micrometer for doing our calibrating of plug gages. I am currently trying to fill out a request form for a new linear measuring device, all I have found are the new Pratt and Whitney Labmaster/Supermicrometers the Helios HelioCOM, and a couple models of the Mahr Measuring machines. I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for a device that can accurately (.00001 or better) measure (threaded and plug) ID, (threaded and plug) OD, indicators, and maybe even micrometers, but that isn’t necessary.
What did you settle on?

A

Arvind

0.00001 accuracy- Is it of a millimeter or an inch?

It is not clear to me whether the accuracy required is in metric or British system?
Answer will vary based on system.

Top Bottom