Is a reading room a good idea for the Elsmar Cove?

W

WALLACE

With the many truly professional contributors to the cove:
Does the group think it would be a good idea to have a reading room library section within the Cove forums?
I'm particularly reading a lot more e-books on the web these days. I believe this kind of arrangement would suit the current and future developing needs of many contributors to the cove.
The knowledge and information exchange that is currently processed at the cove, doesn't have much copyright issues attached (For the most part).

E-books however may have copyright issues attached.
I'm thinking of authors such as Craig Cochran and Allan Sayle, who may assist in the set-up of such an initiative at the Cove.
I understand copyright may be an issue: I do however realize we could have an arrangement with respective publishers and authors to have a "read only" from source material links at the cove.
This arrangement may also help to maintain the cove.
Any suggestions?
Wallace.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I like the idea. Copyright is always a concern, but anyone could violate a copyright in paper books as well as digitally so I am not unhinged by this notion.

It is very difficult to get a book published, so perhaps some of our members would like to contribute articles or portions to a larger e-work. If there is already such a venue, I'm not familiar with it; perhaps I am not curious enough or it is not something I recognize so I can seek it out--I don't know which.

The best thing would be if e-submitters could gain publicity sufficient to advance from this venue to becoming published in paper form. I would enjoy this for both bringing in income and finding an agent: another challenging aspect of knowledge transfer.

C

ccochran

Wallace and Jennifer,

Great idea. The monthly article contest ran out of gas, but I think this could be a vehicle for folks who are still interested in writing articles and/or books. I guess we'll see what Marc and others think about it.

Craig

W

WALLACE

Craig, Jennifer.
If this is a good idea: what should the reading room be called.
The name: "Reading room" may be an ideal name yet, that's just my take.
Suggestions anyone??
Wallace.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
We might call it The Library. Or The Media Center. I like The Reading Room very much too.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
I, too, like the idea but like any good library has, will there be a 'filing system' so to speak? Will items be placed in a particular order or in categories to help us sift through material?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
RCBeyette said:
I, too, like the idea but like any good library has, will there be a 'filing system' so to speak? Will items be placed in a particular order or in categories to help us sift through material?
You write, of course, of the topic "Electronic Document Management" wherein we consider factors like
  • approval for insertion into the system,
  • validation of the content, and
  • retrieval when and if needed.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'll look through the 'hacks' forum and see if there's something that might be useful.

But - you do know that when you are in a forum, viewing all the threads in that forum, you can arrange the threads by Title, for instance, by clicking the appropriate column label:

Sort_Forum_Threads_By.png

By Date (Last Post) is the default. I haven't seen a way to change the default view. Also, look at the green arrow by Last Post - click the green arrow to reverse the order.

Top Bottom