Filling out inspection report using calibrated pins

G

GRISHAG

For inspection of drilled holes in a lot of metal parts after machining we use GO/NO-GO calibrated pins. As a result of inspection, we fill out an inspection report, consisting of “Measured” and “Required” columns, where we print the dimension of measured diameter of holes via required value.

What should be written in “Measured” column of report? Is it “OK” or a numerical value (for example, diameter of GO pin)?

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Good day GRISHAG,

I was wondering who would be interested in this data? Are you automotive, aerospace, nuclear, medical device etc.? Is your customer interested in maintaining tight tolerances? Have your customers spelled out a requirement?

If your product is critical in some way then maybe the customer or regulator can tell you what they would want to see if they asked for this inspection data. If your inspection is for, say, the wheels on little red toy wagons, it could be enough to list the requirements on the inspection sheet and write "OK" or similar and indicate who did the inspection and when, identification of the instruments and date, etc.

I hope this helps!

T

tonefordays

We use pins regularly to verify hole sizes on all sorts of parts, however one thing I know is, what works for one customer may not work for another. Each customer we work with expects something different. Some will accept an "OK" or "Gaged" in the results column, some will accept the range of the gage pins used for verification, some want an actual size measured. I would suggest asking the customer what they expect to see in the results column, and propose your plan. At the end of the day, entering the actual value would be ideal, however if doing so increases inspection time and creates bottle necks, it would be worth asking the customer for clarification before moving forward.

JLyt207

Involved In Discussions
what works for one customer may not work for another. Each customer we work with expects something different.

What bothers me is when I have 2 different people at the same company demand different formats. (That is a rant for another time.)

But back to the OP. We have been allowed to use "Verified - pins" by more than one prime aerospace company when recording hole sizes that were checked with gage pins.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
For inspection of drilled holes in a lot of metal parts after machining we use GO/NO-GO calibrated pins. As a result of inspection, we fill out an inspection report, consisting of “Measured” and “Required” columns, where we print the dimension of measured diameter of holes via required value.

What should be written in “Measured” column of report? Is it “OK” or a numerical value (for example, diameter of GO pin)?
Its an attribute. The calibrated pins tells you a PASS / FAIL for the checked hole. (Not measure the hole)
Your report must only have columns for GO and NO-GO, and the record will have PASS / FAIL under each.
If both are a PASS, the hole pass.

G

GRISHAG

Thanks to everybody for explanations and answers to my quote!

Scanton

Quite Involved in Discussions
We produce machined parts for a variety of industries including automotive, and as long as the hole is not a critical or safety feature, it can be checked with an attribute gauge and recorded as "Good to Gauge" (or GTG). Of course the record of this check includes the person who did the check, the date it was done and the serial number of the gauge that was used to maintain traceability.

Top Bottom