Quality Objectives - Our auditor told us we need to broadcast our quality objectives

I

ISOPete

At our recent stage 1 review our auditor told us we need to broadcast our quality objectives to the people performing the work. Below are some of what we track but how do we go about broadcasting them. Bulletin boards??Magnets?? and what do we say for each? Some guidance is apprecoated
Machining- Quality, Efficiency
Inspection – Quality Product
Test Stands – Quality Product Out The Door
Assembly- Quality (FTT)
Prod.Eng- Quality Design On Time
Man. Eng- Quality Process Design In A Timely Manner
Sales- Customer Satisfaction
Purchasing- Quality Product On Time From Suppliers
Warranty- Customer Satisfaction
Maintenance - ??

D

dokes

For each objective you should have a metric that monitors it. Displaying this metric in a graphic format in a central area or appropriate department would be appropriate.

J

jmp4429

I think your quality objectives need to be more specific. At least more specific than what you've told us. Our quality objectives are:

Zero Defects
100% On-Time Delivery
Continual Improvement in Processes and Products

Then each department has specific targets to help us meet those objectives.

Our quality objectives are communicated through training at orientation, posters in the plant, and a little business-sized card that employees keep in their badge holders (with the quality policy on one side and objectives on the other).

Then we track PPM, Late Deliveries, etc... for the year on graphs posted in the cafeteria for all employees to see. This information is also conveyed to employees daily at their shift startup meetings.

Hope that helps give you some ideas to play with.

M

Mary C.

Quality Objectives

I took our company policy and linked our objectives and goals to that document. I post this in each department with the measures monthly. Everyone understands it and knows what is expected. I have attached a copy for you to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

betterlife

Mary C. said:
I took our company policy and linked our objectives and goals to that document. I post this in each department with the measures monthly. Everyone understands it and knows what is expected. I have attached a copy for you to see.

You have followed the right approach.

Any organization's quality policy is in fact a statement of Corporate Level Quality objectives (CLQO). Every department/process is required to relate to these CLQO to specify its Functional Level Quality Objectives (FLQO). FLQO should be consistent with CLQO and should be quantified so that their achievement can be monitored/measured and required actions can be determmined and implemented for any non-achievement. Also there should be continual improvement in CLQO and FLQO after a specied target has been achieved.

I have not been able to locate the attachment you have referred to. I am interested in having a look at this document, which I am sure will be quite interesting.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
betterlife said:
Also there should be continual improvement in CLQO and FLQO after a specied target has been achieved.
I find it amazing that people think it's a good idea to continually move the goalposts. Is there no such thing as an optimum state?

J

jmp4429

JSW05 said:
I find it amazing that people think it's a good idea to continually move the goalposts. Is there no such thing as an optimum state?

JSW, you have been feisty lately!

With so much focus on Continual Improvement in the TS system, I think it's inevitable that people are going to continually move the goalposts or add new ones to meet what they feel is the intent of the standard.

Besides, what's wrong with always striving for a little more?

R

Rachel

JSW05 said:

You don't move all of the goalposts - you identify the processes that are generating the most wastage (define "wastage" in whatever units you want!) and try to improve on them. If you've reached your target and you're happy there, then move on.

The intent is that we should always be striving for improvement - not that we need to continually improve in *every* area, but that we need to be striving for improvement in the areas where improvement is required. We as business managers are responsible for determining where the improvements are required.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Rachel said:
You don't move all of the goalposts - you identify the processes that are generating the most wastage (define "wastage" in whatever units you want!) and try to improve on them. If you've reached your target and you're happy there, then move on.
I agree, but please look again at the statement I was responding to:
betterlife said:
]Also there should be continual improvement in CLQO and FLQO after a specied target has been achieved
I may be wrong, but it looks like what betterlife is advocating is moving the goalposts as soon as they've been reached. My contention is that improving something that doesn't need to be improved is waste, so perhaps it's the continual improvement process that needs to be improved. Continually.

R

ralphsulser

Rachel said:
in the areas where improvement is required. We as business managers are responsible for determining where the improvements are required.
Yes, and at what cost. A decision has to be made as to what is the improvement from this point on going to cost, and what is the degree of benefit. Not an improvement if new capitol equipment is required to make the improvement if the benefit is minor and does not affect customer need or perception. Continual improvement stops somewhere at the point of benefit ratio.
Another reason to not use "continuous imnprovement"

Top Bottom