Configuration Management Exemption? AS9100

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Hello -

Thanks for all of your inputs - I truly appreciate.

My client is a subcontractor for aircraft body parts manufacturers.

Since they do not hold responsibility for Design, does this exempt them from the Configuration Management requirements of 4.3 of AS9100?

Thanks again and again!:bigwave:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Re: AS9100 Configuration Mgt. Exemption?

Hello -

Thanks for all of your inputs - I truly appreciate.

My client is a subcontractor for aircraft body parts manufacturers.

Since they do not hold responsibility for Design, does this exempt them from the Configuration Management requirements of 4.3 of AS9100?

Thanks again and again!:bigwave:

Do they manufacture parts using CNC machines? If so, then they wouldn't be exempt, besides, it is not in Section 7, at least what I can see.

Last edited:

normzone

I must be missing something. Section 7 where? And why would CNC machinery be specific?:bonk:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help

I must be missing something. Section 7 where? And why would CNC machinery be specific?:bonk:

You can only exclude section 7 not section 4 (or 4.3 specifically) as you have suggested.

CNC Programs fall under configuration control. Do they not control product characteristics? Don't they have to be validated and verified? Don't they have Revision control? I could go on and on....

J

Jeff Frost

You are, read the “Scope” section of AS9100 specifically “1.2 Application”. It states where exclusions can be taken within the international standard.

Configuration Management is Clause 4.3 and involves control of all documents that pertain to the product, including such items as part drawings, material specifications, field service manuals, installation instructions, cross-reference documents, part samples, warrant documents etc. as applicable to the product produce.

Since your client is a subcontractor for aircraft body parts manufacturers your client is required to control the configuration of the product to assure that the correct revision is produced.

normzone

Ah, it all becomes clear now - well, it's beginning to, anyway.

Okay, I see that perspective. I was thinking of the matter from the point of view of the customer, who would have not only a similar responsibility but additional responsibilities, such as interchangeability forwards and backwards, etc.

Okay, I'm off to read the linked material.

Again, thanks.:bigwave:

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

Hi, normzone - :bigwave:

This is what we state in our quality policy manual:

3.4~d CONFIGURATION MANAGEMENT

Thread-Craft, Inc. is not design responsible and therefore we do not create configuration management plans for individual products. We ensure customer configuration management requirements are included in product realization plans and instructions as described in the various procedures identified in Section 3.5 of this manual. These procedures describe how we identify the configuration item, whether it is a part or an assembly, how we control engineering drawings and revisions to them, part numbering and serializing methods and traceability, and controlling records.

I've attached Section 3.5 referenced above that indicates which procedures describe configuration management controls throughout the quality management system - I highlighted in yellow.

Attachments

• only 3.5.doc
    90.5 KB · Views: 242

normzone

Thank you. I was hoping it could be addressed in a manner such as that. I may yet make it through this minefield. :applause:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

You have received excellent advice for your question. One other approach that can be used, is for you to seek a "formal" interpretation. The IAQG has instituted a process for people to be able to ask questions to people involved with the different documents associated with the Aerospace Industry. If you open the first attached document in this post, you will get information about the SDR (Sector Document Representative) person for the 9100 Standard (and all other harmonized documents). The SDR in the Americas (AAQG) sector for AS9100 is Mr. Buddy Cressionie from Lockheed Martin. You have his email address and phone number. I encourage you to pose your question to him. Whatever response you get, will bring it an "official" position from the IAQG.

Top Bottom