Policy Statement HSE and OHSAS 18001

G

Grusha

Hi,
Another question! I am drafting up our OH&S Policy Statement to comply with 18001, which is fine. What I am stuck with is this… for our 14001 certification we have a 1 page policy statement which is displayed around the offices etc and is effective in communicating our overarching commitments.
I have created a 1 pager for 18001 too, following the standard guidelines. However, I am aware of the standard set out of H&S Policies as advised by the Health and Safety Executive (Intent / Organization / Arrangements) and am a bit confused.
Can I put up my one pager as long as all the other information legally required is documented within the OH&S management system? Or do I need to follow the HSE example first, followed by 18001.

Thanks!

Attachments

• OH&S Policy for 18001x.doc
    24 KB · Views: 839
Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Policy Statement HSE and 18001

Can I put up my one pager as long as all the other information legally required is documented within the OH&S management system? Or do I need to follow the HSE example first, followed by 18001.
Hi, Grusha. The "one pager" is fine to satisfy the 4.2 elements of 18001. The "policy and arrangements" required under H & S legislation would generally be your top level system for OHSAS.

G

Grusha

Great, thanks for your help! Would anyone mind having a quick look at my 18001 policy - should I make more specific mentions of our significant risks?

We are office based so theses are: DSE / manual handleing / fire / lone working / ST&Fs / Driving / electricity.

Thank you! I promise I will not post every bit of documentation. I just need to get this bit right and then the majority can be worked in with our 14001 system.
:thanx:

I've attached to my original post

M

mick cooper

Hi Grusha,

I wonder if you could help me? I am going to embark on going through the 18001 certification but I do not have anything that resembles a safety manual. I have obviously got my safety policy but do not have anything that matches the structure of the ohsas system. Could you help with anything please? Even the policy that you have posted is already a help to me.

Best regards
Mick Cooper

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource

Great, thanks for your help! Would anyone mind having a quick look at my 18001 policy - should I make more specific mentions of our significant risks?
Hi, Grusha. I've had a quick look. There is no requirement to describe your risks here, you have mentioned the objectives framework and the only question I would have is in your policy you mention contractors here:
• Engage with employees, contractors and visitors to further reduce Occupational Health & Safety hazards and risks associated with working for, with, or on behalf of the SSAT.
There is a requirement for communicating the policy to others working on behalf of the organization - it doesn't have to be stated in the policy but as yours ticks all the other boxes I thought I'd mention it.

Otherwise it looks good.

Don't worry about posting documentation here - we never get bored. Says something about Covers needing to get a life really. :lol:

G

Grusha

Thanks so much for your help, being relatively new to the world of management systems it lalways good to know you're on the right track!:thanks:

G

Grusha

Hi Mick,

I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as you and have just begun developing our 18001 system! Have you had a look at the other resources within the cove? There is usually always some kind of example. When googling, I found a pretty useful online manual http://www.ballarat.edu.au/aasp/staff/ohs/manual_index.shtml

Good luck!

M

mick cooper

Hi Grusha,

Many thanks for your reply. I appreciate the guidance and although I have not checked the example manual out that you have given me I will be taking a close look thank you. Although it is certainly a challenge embarking on the requirements of 18001 I look forward to getting to the result end of this process.

Once again thank you for your help, speak to you again at some stage.

Regards and thanks
Mick Cooper:):thanks:

R

Rafae

Hi Grusha,

Thanks a lot...appreciate:thanx:

Top Bottom