Should customers influence a supplier's registrar selection?

Should customers influence a supplier's registrar selection?

• Yes, customers should influence the supplier decision.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • No, customers should allow the supplier to select whatever registrar they want.

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Most organizations attain ISO 9001 (AS9100/TS-16949/TL-9000, etc...) certification to satisfy a customer requirement.

Realizing the tremendous disparity in the business model of Certification Bodies (albeit most are accredited to 17021), some people believe that certificates issued by different CB's bring different levels of confidence.

Since the actual users of the ISO 9001 certificate is not the registrant, but, in reality, their customers, should customers influence the decision of their supplier's certification body?

WCHorn

Rubber, Too Glamorous?
Trusted Information Resource
I think it's OK for a customer to share with a supplier their experience with registrars, but not to require suppliers to use any particular registrar. It depends on how you define "influence," so my answer is yes. It would be no to limiting suppliers to certain registrars.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I voted no because this will lead quickly to a no-win situation for the supplier when multiple customers try to dictate different registrars.

If the customer has to have input it should be on the order of "I will not recognize the following registrars (limited number allowed) for (state legitimate reason)" This at least would allow for a field of acceptable registrars from which to choose.

However, I think allowing control versus input would be starting down a very slippery slope.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
I feel that the customer should not have any influence with what Registrar to use. For AS9100 Supplier would use the OASIS database to select the Registrar.

DannyK

The major aerospace supplier in my area picked a registrar a few years ago and sent a letter to all their suppliers indicating that the "chosen registrar" will be contacting each supplier and will be responsible for checking the status of all suppliers.

This resulted in a huge market share advantage for this registrar.

In the last few months, there has been some movement away from this registrar due to not being able to schedule audits in a timely manner.

M

mahasatta2002

I have voted as NO.

The situation is similar to that of an auditor,who during an audit cannot suggest. Experience is that, invariably during audits, one hears the auditee state that we did it because the last auditor suggested.

This literally Boomerangs.

Similarly, it would be best to leave it to the supplier,so that there is no chance for excuses, saying that you suggested and we took the decision since you are our valuable customer.

Under these circumstances the customer can independently and freely conduct the second party audit to its advantage and meet its objective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy

Super Moderator
If it's a customer requirement you have no choice...You guys remember 7.2.1 and the policy don't you?...

Old story...Want my money, then do as I ask as long as it's legal and ethical

T

tsmith7858

Having recently gone through the selection process for ISO 22000 and in the future 9000, 14000 and OHSAS, I did a straw poll of some of our larger customers. In the end it did little to influence the decision because most were not certified themselves and did not care. My only real purpose was to make sure there were no customers that would have a concern with a particular registrar.

I don't feel customers should dictate, but no matter what you say, they have at least a small level of influence.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
If you want the business and they won't budge....

I have had customers that made their preferences abundantly clear. We sit down and talk about it and see if concessions can be made. So far, we have not had to change registrars.:D

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
The major aerospace supplier in my area picked a registrar a few years ago and sent a letter to all their suppliers indicating that the "chosen registrar" will be contacting each supplier and will be responsible for checking the status of all suppliers.

This resulted in a huge market share advantage for this registrar.

In the last few months, there has been some movement away from this registrar due to not being able to schedule audits in a timely manner.
Yes, I remember we discussed that situation, here in the Cove.

Thanks for all the comments, so far. One of the least practiced buzzword management issues of the last decade is supply chain management.

If an organization does not care how their suppliers select and monitor their suppliers, sooner or later, that will affect them (the customer). When it comes to registrar selection, some people have no idea of a meaningful criteria to use. And many end up choosing the path of least resistance, which, for the most part, adds no value from the customer's perspective.

While I would be very leery of a customer mandating a specific CB for a supplier, influencing means helping the supplier using a meaningful criteria during the selection process.

Any additional comments?

Top Bottom