5S Audit - Seiri, Seiton, Seiso, Seiketsu, Shitsuke

A

Andrews

5S Audit - SEIRI

When auditing SEIRI , how will the auditor (third party) know which file / item is not required?

S

s_warin

Auditing 5S, Criteria.

The criteria in auditing 5S comes from each of the definition of the activities, the standard set by owner of that area, the characterists of the work, the regulations, the needs of the organization.

You have to develop a checkliest for each area. The total points (score) of the checklist is 1,000 points.

You may use ISO 19011 as a guideline.

:eek:

A

Andrei Viorel - 2009

SEIRI Audit

Please find some questions to be used when the "Auditor" perfoms this step:
  1. Are there any useless things that can bother your work environment?
  2. Are there any useless raw materials, semi-finished products and/or waste left as is, nearby workplace?
  3. Are there any tools, spare parts, materials left on the floor, nearby equipment?
  4. Are all frequently used objects sorted, arranged, stored and labeled?
  5. Are all measurement instruments/devices sorted, arranged, stored and labeled?
  6. Does the inventory or in-process inventory include any unneeded materials or parts?
  7. Are there any unused machines or other equipment around?
  8. Are there any unused jigs, tools, dies or similar items around?
  9. Is it obvious which items have been marked as unnecessary?
  10. Has establishing the 5S's left behind any useless standards?

vio

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WALLACE

5S at Ford

At my Ford location,
The 5S philosophy is integrated into the SQDCME measurable's.
As an example you may wish to access the sqdcme attachments that are available at the Cove for viewing.
A 5S audit?
Well there's no such thing at Ford. Production operators (Process owners) are the personnel who define the scope of 5S measures through work group communications and actions.
Evidence of an 5S audit of sorts may well be evident within the skilled trades maintenance departments, I've seen visuals that encourage the 5S philosophy.
Wallace.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
My facility is in the beginning stages of implementing a 5S programme. The Steering Committee was nominated and determined that the following actions/items were needed:

• Communication board showing main departments and overal 5S audit results
  • Department communication boards showing how each work cell faired in 5S audits
  • Ensuring all employees trained on 5S, the concept of it, the importance of it, and the benefits of it
  • Audit schedule
  • Expected results by the end of 2004
  • Audit checklist

Using checklists from our South American and North American sister facilities, along with with sample documents provided by a few consultants, we developed our own 5S audit checklist. I've attached a copy.

A mock audit highlighted a few weakness in the form and improvements were made.

5S audits occur once a month, on the third Wednesday. A set schedule allows everyone to ensure that time is set aside to conduct the audit and prepare for it. It keeps in line with the idea that audits are supposed to be win-win events...and not an attempt to catch people at breaking the law.

Attachments

• 5S Audit Form 01.xls
    21.5 KB · Views: 4,422
W

WALLACE

RCBeyette said:
5S audits occur once a month, on the third Wednesday. A set schedule allows everyone to ensure that time is set aside to conduct the audit and prepare for it. It keeps in line with the idea that audits are supposed to be win-win events...and not an attempt to catch people at breaking the law.

RC,
If the 5S audit is regularly scheduled, wouldn't this be just an opportunity for a quick tidy up before the scheduled audit takes place to save face at each audited location?I've seen this happen a lot at my location.
I know I sound kinda cynical yet, 5S has to be gradually infused into an organization in such a way that allows the 5S philosophy to be part of the everyday culture.
As part of my visual says, Human nature has a tendency to resist change.
We so often return to the status quo when we attempt an improvement or change to a function or process.
Wallace.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
WALLACE said:
RC,
If the 5S audit is regularly scheduled, wouldn't this be just an opportunity for a quick tidy up before the scheduled audit takes place to save face at each audited location?I've seen this happen a lot at my location.
I know I sound kinda cynical yet, 5S has to be gradually infused into an organization in such a way that allows the 5S philosophy to be part of the everyday culture.
As part of my visual says, Human nature has a tendency to resist change.
We so often return to the status quo when we attempt an improvement or change to a function or process.
Wallace.

I do not disagree with you Wallace, and the idea of notifying the area in advance that we were coming through was a lengthy debate by the Steering Committee, but a few questions were asked that resulted in us taking this approach:

• Would you ever do a 9K/14K audit without prior notification?
  • In order to promote buy-in, we need people to be aware of our actions. This is a highly visible programme within the organization, and we need to cultivate the right image. As the programme evolves, so too can the audit format.
  • Safety of the audit team - we need to notify the area in case there is an extraordinary activity being conducted that we need to be aware of.

The first 2 points were, however, the swaying factors. Does it allow them to prep in advance? Naturally so. However, over time it is our belief that they will start to keep their work stations neater and more in line with the 5S programme in order to avoid the sudden panic cleaning. We are already seeing this.

The employees also know our audit approach. We pretend we are external Customers and we look for things that we would not want to see in a supplier...derogatory calendars, food lying about, unnecessary dirt/dust/grime/grease, puddles of liquid on the floor, etc.

As our 5S programme evolves, we may cease the advance notification or shorten the notice from a couple of days to a couple of hours - just as we will be raising our level to be considered "green" (i.e., 70% this year, 75% in 2005, 80% in 2006, and so on).

W

WALLACE

Excellent RC,
Your obviously very passionate about a quality culture at your location, keep up the great work.
As I said in a previous post, at Ford the 5S has been unwittingly integrated with the SQDCME measurable's.
Within the work group meetings, we ask each other pertinent questions regarding the measurable's like:
"To safely deliver a cost effective quality process, we need to encourage a user friendly and morale boosting environment".
Wallace.

Top Bottom