Dock Audit - Reasons to do dimensional checks during product dock audit

qcman

Registered Visitor
Since our products are checked through out the processes and documented to show conformance to customer specs, is there any reason to do dimensional checks during a dock audit of product? I would like to drop that and do strictly an audit of packing and shipping. I do not see anything in the iso standard that I have not covered else where so I thought I would run it by you all to see what you think.

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
You decide on what inspection is required, unless there are contractual requirements that specify inspections.

ISO 9001 does not use the word "inspection" but "monitoring and measuring".

I would recommend that you define the inspections that you do within a document so that it would be clear to everyone what your requirements are.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I do not find any reference to dock audits specifically called out in ISO9000:2000, but TS 16949 has a clause that reads:

"8.2.2.3 Product audit
The organization shall audit products at appropriate stages of production and delivery to verify conformity to all specified requirements, such as product dimensions, functionality, packaging and labelling, at a defined frequency."

Now such a clause could be interpreted as a requirement for dimensional checks at dock audit, but the clause does not say all specified requirements will be checked at all stages, same as it does not say every element shall be audited on every shift in each year. There has been a fair amount of argument about that one too. One should not read too much into those standards.

The key words in the product audit clause are "at appropriate stages of production and delivery." That means after the item is boxed and labeled, the box doesn't need to be opened again and the same dimensions checked yet again. It means packing and labeling shoudl be included in the checks, since these aspects can impact customer satisfaction.:2cents:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Since our products are checked through out the processes and documented to show conformance to customer specs, is there any reason to do dimensional checks during a dock audit of product? I would like to drop that and do strictly an audit of packing and shipping. I do not see anything in the iso standard that I have not covered else where so I thought I would run it by you all to see what you think.

Hello qcman,

What is your past experience with the current (dock audit) practices? Was the Customer protected from receiving nonconforming product at all times?
In the spirit of continual improvement, you can change the control plans to reflect the new (dock audit) practice and limit this (as you stated) to packing and shipping. Beware of any customer-specific requirements that may be applicable. A good example of improved practices reflected in the control plans that are now truly "living documents."

Stijloor.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

The intent of a Dock Audit is to do a redundant, double-check of the inspection and production processes. It is redundant on purpose, based on the premise that your primary system is not yet robust. if it is robust, and your performance is consistently exceptional, there is some limited benefit in dock audits.

qcman

Registered Visitor
Thank you for your replies. I would not call our system robust but we do have redundant checks through out processing and do a pretty good job over all. Less than half of what passes through the dock ships direct to the customer, the rest to a second plant for packing/shipping. I am reviewing the whole dock audit process which now is very limited at best and it's in need of a change.

Top Bottom