Can I skip Payment Process audit for TS16949 Internal Audit?

JuneFoo

Starting to get Involved
Since payment process is not under ISO/TS 16949: 2009 requirement, can I skip this audit process (previously we always include this in IA as consultant advice it is a topic under COP!)

And my company did not set up SOP for payment process, just a simple sentences appeal in Sales SOP said - Account department shall proceed to payment collection after invoice issued.

Any opinion please!

G

guruprasadb

ACCOUNTS or Finance related services will not cover in the Management systems - ISO 9001 , TS 19494 , AS 9100 etc.....

So it can removed from the process and audit can also be eliminated.

In our organisation we have contract review process in that payment realisation is a part..... in sales department

D

DrM2u

Well, I do suggest to my clients to include the 'Payment Process' (or Billing, Invoicing, etc) among the business processes for the following reasons:
- it is a part of the business processes
- it closes the circle that starts with receiving an order then 'concludes' with shipping the product
- it helps the organization be more efficient in receiving the money necessary for a steady cash flow
- it is part of the contractual agreement that included the parts shipped (see Payment Terms)

However, during such an audit I would not be concerned with the Accounting part of it (i.e. accuracy of billing, matching of orders with invoices and payments received, etc). A few things that I look at during the audit of the Payment Process are:
- how does the organization know when, how and how much to invoice?
- how are the invoices communicated to the customers? are they compatible with customers' requirements?
- how are the invoices and payments monitorized for timeliness and accuracy?
- what actions are taken when the invoices are not accurate, or payments are late?

I believe that the expected outputs from this process are:
- From customer's perspective, accuracy and timeliness of invoicing; the customer expects an accurate invoice, submitted within a reasonable/agreed time from the shipment, and in a way that can be processed effectively (paper, electronic, on-line, etc)
- From organization's perspective, accuracy and timeliness of payments; the company needs the money to pay its suppliers for materials and services, to pay the utilities, to pay its employees and investors/owners, to re-invest into the organization, etc

Bottom line, it is up to you to decide whether to continue auditing the Payment Process, just consider the benefits and drawbacks of not doing it.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Since payment process is not under ISO/TS 16949: 2009 requirement, can I skip this audit process (previously we always include this in IA as consultant advice it is a topic under COP!)

And my company did not set up SOP for payment process, just a simple sentences appeal in Sales SOP said - Account department shall proceed to payment collection after invoice issued.

Any opinion please!

Agree with DrM2u.

In your audit program you should consider process approach. Payment is usually considered as a sub process or activity of larger process, I think Slaes in your case as per your post. However it is to the organization to defined the processes that form its own QMS. Probably during the internal audit to Sales you can put under the scope the complaince to internal procedures of Payment as well as the monitoring and measurement of effectiveness and efficiency of the entire process.

D

db

...However, during such an audit I would not be concerned with the Accounting part of it (i.e. accuracy of billing...
I agree with most of what you say, but I would include accuracy of billing in the QMS. Anyone who has ever had a billing error knows what a pain it could be to resolve. This could be a major cause of customer dissatisfaction.
Just my :2cents: though.

Top Bottom