Do you agree with "There are no stupid questions" statement?

Do you agree with "There are no stupid questions" statement?

• Yes

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 32 65.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

Reg Morrison

In this age of political correctness, one of the things that irks me is the

"there are no stupid questions"

statement. In my mind, there are stupid questions and, while people should not be chastised for asking them, pretending that there are no stupid questions is silly and just another platitude people say but don't really mean....

What do you think?

It is possible someone will say: that is a stupid question to ask

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I base the answer on "there are no stupid questions" on who is asking the question:

An employee asks (honestly looking for the answer): "What is 2 + 2" because he/she is not willing to figure it out.

Vs.

A 4 year old asking "what is 2 + 2"

I will help the 4 year old, while I think the question is stupid for the employee to ask.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
While there are definitely situations where someone might ask a question to which they could easily have obtained an answer online, or to which with a little serious thought they could have reasoned it out for themselves, I (in the role of instructor, facilitator, etc.) still use this phrase because, if I don't, serious questions often go unasked for fear of appearing stupid. I would rather deal with a few irritating questions than allow a single serious question go unanswered.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
There are no stupid questions because there are no "know all, tell all" people ...
We see the question only, but seldom get to know the context of the question and the background from which the person comes up with one.
The branding of a question as stupid stems from purely our own understanding.

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
While there are definitely situations where someone might ask a question to which they could easily have obtained an answer online, or to which with a little serious thought they could have reasoned it out for themselves, I (in the role of instructor, facilitator, etc.) still use this phrase because, if I don't, serious questions often go unasked for fear of appearing stupid. I would rather deal with a few irritating questions than allow a single serious question go unanswered.

Yes - that's the purpose of the saying.

Top Bottom