AS9100 (FCA / PCA) of section 7.1.3 - Configuration Management - Audit question

B

bigbirdy

Hi to all the folks,

I have some questions about Configuration audit (FCA / PCA) of section 7.1.3 of the configuration management of the AS9100c standard?
Is configuration audit driven by the customer requirements? Meaning if SOW doesn’t call out the configuration audit , supplier doesn’t need to do it?
Or a configuration audit must be in place even if the customer does not require it?

Thank a lot!

Big Jim

Admin
Re: Configuration audit question.

Configuration management is something that you need to do if the customer requires it or not.

Configuration management is a horrible term. Most people have a hard time getting their mind around the concept. They tend to overthink it, or completely misapply it due to their lack of understanding.

If you think in terms of revision level control, you have a much better idea of what is involved. That's really what configuration management means.

You may be doing a configuration audit now without realizing it. It is often done with final inspection or perhaps immediately before or after. What do you do at the end of the job to confirm that the revision levels match? What do you do to make sure you are delivering the correct revision level? Answer those two questions and you will see what I mean.

B

bigbirdy

Thanks Big Jim!

We have a configuration management system but I am not sure if we are doing configuration audit consistenly. Does simple (piece part) inspection of the drawing revision and part can be considered as physical configuration audit?

Thanks.

Big Jim

Admin

Thanks Big Jim!

We have a configuration management system but I am not sure if we are doing configuration audit consistenly. Does simple (piece part) inspection of the drawing revision and part can be considered as physical configuration audit?

Thanks.

Here is a simple configuration audit procedure:

Configuration audit is accomplished by confirming every configuration requirement is verified for completion and acceptability against customer requirements. Typically, the following are verified:

• All production processes were completed.
• All certifications have correct process revisions.
• All dimensions have been inspected and approved.
• All proper notes are in place.
• All documents supporting its configuration are present.

B

bigbirdy

Nice! Thanks for tips Big Jim!

Top Bottom