ISO/TS16949, Clause 6.2.2.4 - Motivating employees to achieve quality objectives

A

A Navajo - 2012

The above clause requies an organization to have a process to motivate employee to achieve quality objectives.
Can anyone enlighten me on what it means to hv a process to motivate employees means? Is having various reward program considered a motivation process? Does having various reward progam creates an environment to promote innovation?
Pls help :thanx:

K

Karen R

Sure, if the incentive program is really motivating them.

We have an incentive based pay system, which several years back we changed. Pay used to be figured soley on bottom-line income. Now it includes weighted factors for operational performance in safety, quality and productivity too - things that our people affect every day.

But that's just one method. You'd be surprised how many simple programs can drive improvement. In two companys I worked for I was responsible for collecting and entering weekly time sheets. People were always late submitting them and seldom were they correct and complete. Out of desperation we posted a list with everyone's name on Monday afternoon. After each name was a :) or a :( . Smiley if you were ontime, complete and correct. You would be amazed at everyone's response and within a matter of weeks we went from less than 50% :) 's to near 100%.

When I moved to another company and experienced the same problem, I implemented the same solution with equal success. And these were mid- to upper-level degreed managers! The only problem - we had to keep posting the sheet each week, as they missed it when we tried to discontinue it! But since we always had a checksheet to make sure everyone's was in, we just used that :magic:

Randy

Super Moderator
One of the best motivation programs on record was utilized by the Roman Army

DECIMATION!

Works for me :lmao:

Q

qualitytrec

Randy said:
One of the best motivation programs on record was utilized by the Roman Army

DECIMATION!

Works for me :lmao:
not so funny. my bosses incentive for imployees is if you like your job do it, if not don't let the door bruise your :ca: on the way out.
Mark

S

SteelWoman

In reality you probably HAVE motivation factors already in place. Do your employees get Profit Sharing or Production Bonuses? That's a motivation to achieve quality, particularly if there is a "quality element" in how they're calculated. Do you post each department's rejects/customer claims in such a way that there is some awareness from department to department about who (department or machine) is "causing" quality problems and who is doing high quality work? That's motivation to achieve quality. And not too far from what Randy said, is there a real link in your HR system between POOR performance (specifically not doing their job right, creating poor quality material) and employee discipline or termination? That's also motivation to achieve quality.

Then there's the issue of MEASURING employee motivation - a whole 'nother post.

J

Jonell

Our company is in the midst of putting in the "Gung Ho" program, based on the book by the same name. It's being driven by the owner, who feels confident that it will work, and fully realizes that it won't happen overnight.

Jonell

Top Bottom