Visit to Parent Company in San Diego - Advice on Business & Social Etiquette in USA

sonflowerinwales

In the country
Hello there fellow Covers

New job, new career, new challenge. I've been asked to visit our parent companies facility in San Diego in July, and am seeking your advice.

Please can you advise on etiquette, both business and social, in the USA?

I've never been before so it's appearing a bit daunting. I'm there for a week, and don't want to make a fool of myself!

Thanks

Paul

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Visit to San Diego

Paul!

Welcome to the USA! Wow, first stop San Diego - all I could manage was Hoboken, New Jersey!

The easiest adaptation for business is dress code. Leave your suit at home! For the daytime, 'business casual' is the norm - shirt, trousers, no tie, and a casual jacket if you need to wear one (not neceesary in California). Dependent on the company culture, Fridays can be 'casual' day when some folks wear jeans, but it's very specific to the company and the management. I'd check first.

After that, the list is endless, so my best advice is 'be yourself'. Don't worry about adapting too much. Just about everyone here love the British and they will know you're visiting. Of course you should take time (if you can to see San Diego sights - the world famous zoo, Sea World, the harbour area etc.

Bring money, because with the exchange rate and the relatively low cost of goods here, a trip to JC Penny or a similar store can see you leaving with armfuls of good, cheap clothes etc.

Randy

Super Moderator

San Diego?

Just be yourself, it's one of the friendliest, relaxed places in the US. You'll notice an extremely large military presence in some areas of town. San Diego has many US Naval and Marine Corps facilities...You want to see something impressive? Go visit the graduation ceremonies on Friday mornings at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot.

Business etiquette is slighly different than you may be used to. In some places dressing up means to wear socks and slacks. Social etiquette demands that you don't pee on streetlamps.

If possible take in a Padres game (American Baseball). There is a brand new stadium very close to the downtown area and a night or afternoon there can be one of the funnest things you can do for the price.

Go over to Coronado Island and have a meal or two. Definitely visit Seaport Village...kinda touristy but OK.

Stay away from Mexico, Tijuana and other border areas, because they have been having some vicious gun battles between drug gangs lately. It's just a big tourist trap anyway and you definitely don't want to go alone.

San Diego is one of the few places I look forward to visiting every chance I get and I go to a lot of places.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin

I miss many things about San Diego.

I very much enjoyed the San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park on a Sunday. They used to have street musicians and jugglers on the weekends (especially Sunday), and I recall the museums were pretty nice.

I should caution not to spend the evening there, since you're not a local.

Do you like to roller skate? I used to roller skate on the Boardwalk in Mission Beach. I do not know how how much has changed... One used to be able to rent roller skates and skate the mile long sidewalk along the coast line, beginning at Belmont Park, home of the Giant Dipper roller coaster, built in 1925.

These are the cheaper things to do, more like what the younger locals would do for entertainment. Some has doubtlessly changed since I left in 1995 though.

It is very casual there and, quite a mix of ethnicities. It will be cool this time of year, especially by the coast, so bring a light jacket.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource

San Diego is a great place to visit. You can see the ships, see the zoo, eat almost any kind of ethnic food. Everything posted above.

Mostly, relax and enjoy. And please, let us know what you think when your trip is done!

sonflowerinwales

In the country

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Tickets arrived today, no stopping now!
Just need confirmation from the hotel, and I'm all set to go.
Need to concentrate on a Quality Manual review before then................
Paul

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Re: Visit to Parent Company in San Diego - Advice on Business & Social Etiquette in U

It's always been my experience that someone at the destination facility will either volunteer or be assigned to be a "minder" for the visitor. I presume the company selected the hotel and did not leave you to your own devices.

One of your considerations should be transport from your hotel to the facility and back (if you rent a car, remember we drive on the same side of the road as mainland Europe, so 90% or more of the cars will have the steering wheel on the left side!)

Depending on your length of stay and whether you will have a lot of "unprogrammed" time away from the company or company functions after work hours, you can depend on the staff, especially a concierge, at the hotel to suggest great sightseeing, great shopping, and great eating places.

Bring credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, and American Express are the big 3 in the USA) for major purchases and have sufficient cash on hand for spur of the moment stuff for some purchases where credit cards are not feasible.

Be sure to bring digital camera AND your cable to connect to your computer or anyone else's to download pictures - I mislaid mine for two weeks and went crazy trying to get a replacement (I did a workaround and bought a card reader to read the removable memory card until I discovered where I had left the original cable.) Same deal for remembering charger if you use rechargeable batteries! One thing you might consider is some ocean fishing, especially if any work colleagues are into it - fisherfolk are usually eager for company!

If you are a beer drinker, you may find American formulations a little weak and watery - consider asking for bottles of your favorite brand if the occasion arises. The California wines, however, are almost universally great!

As far as "uniform of the day" - don't hesitate to email or phone them and ASK!

Language - if you can understand the newsreaders on BBC, you'll be able to understand the folks in San Diego, but will they understand you? I'm pretty sure everybody in Wales does not speak like SIR ANTHONY HOPKINS!

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Visit to Parent Company in San Diego - Advice on Business & Social Etiquette in U

Be sure to bring digital camera AND your cable to connect to your computer or anyone else's to download pictures - I mislaid mine for two weeks and went crazy trying to get a replacement (I did a workaround and bought a card reader to read the removable memory card until I discovered where I had left the original cable.) Same deal for remembering charger if you use rechargeable batteries!

Chances are the three-pin plugs in UK and US are different as well as the voltage of the electrical supply.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Chances are the three-pin plugs in UK and US are different as well as the voltage of the electrical supply.
Long ago, I picked up a kit that had adapters for 99% of all electrical outlets throughout the world - google to find current sellers.

Voltage can be problematic, but my electric razor (Norelco) works on either 110 V or 220 V. Travel size transformers are also available for road warriors who travel to places with different Standard voltage.

Laptops come with transformers to convert AC into DC.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

The "transformer" that comes with the laptop computer accommodates 220 Volts as well as 110 Volts. You just have to buy a special plug to fit the different prongs. These are readily available in travel stores and even at airports.

Stijloor.

Top Bottom