Benchmarks for Plastic Injection Molding - Let's Share!

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I am collecting some Benchmarks for plastic injection molding, for a project I'm working on.

Anyone willing to share their best performance for benchmarks?

Ext. PPM

Int. PPM

Int. Scrap

On Time Delivery Performance

Productivity

Unscheduled Downtime

Mold changeover times

I'll share the composite results, if we get enough answers.

Thanks. H Jilling

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I am surprised there are no takers on this? With all the experts posting on this board, does no one have any good numbers they are willing to post..?

Let's open it to other industries as well. Does not have to be plastic only, but list the kind of process so we can sort it appropriately.

Thanks, Hjilling

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted Information Resource
Too shy?

hjilling said:
I am surprised there are no takers on this? With all the experts posting on this board, does no one have any good numbers they are willing to post..?Let's open it to other industries as well. Does not have to be plastic only, but list the kind of process so we can sort it appropriately.Thanks, Hjilling

It does seem odd there are no takers. Your list looks like key business metrics, which we all should have at our fingertips...

There are tons of free, semi, free and very costly BM studies out there.

Several hours on google will bury you in free data.

http://www.plantemoran.com/NR/rdonlyres/CF825484-74E8-4DF3-836B-709AEFF608EC/0/article_modernplastics.pdf

Years ago we spent big bucks for a foundry benchmark report. Surprisingly we blew away almost ever measure in it. We ended up not getting too proud of ourselves, the best of a bad lot doesn't mean very much.

And the best in class result needs no report, somewhere some company is at 0 ppm defects, 0 die change time, obscene profitability, etc.

If I recall QS 9000 suggested comparing our metrics to benchmarks, that seems to have dropped out of TS16949, a missed opportunity I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Caster said:
It does seem odd there are no takers. Your list looks like key business metrics, which we all should have at our fingertips...

There are tons of free, semi, free and very costly BM studies out there.

Several hours on google will bury you in free data.

http://www.plantemoran.com/NR/rdonlyres/CF825484-74E8-4DF3-836B-709AEFF608EC/0/article_modernplastics.pdf

Yeah, I'm surprised too. There must be some companies on this board with some good numbers? I have some numbers from my clients that provided, but I wanted to broaden the population. I'll look at the link you sent me thanks.

If I recall QS 9000 suggested comparing our metrics to benchmarks, that seems to have dropped out of TS16949, a missed opportunity I think.

Actually, it is still there, but as a note in cl 8.4.1.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Benchmarks - why no takers?

Ok, so far no posters. 73 reviews , but no posts. If you don't want to post, at least tell me why? Thanks, Hjilling

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
Would if I could

I would post if I could but I don't track/have access to that data in my company.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
rangotango said:
ext ppm 3000 per month
int ppm 3000
delivery > 97%

Why thank you. I had given up hoping anyone would post anything to that.

I am curious, that your internal and external PPM would both be 3000? Is that a unique coincidence?

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Thank you, but I think the information is too old now to be relevant. Much has changed in the last 3 years. I have much info available from audits, but I was most interested in info as to the benchmarks of my fellow visitors to the Cove. Thanks.

Top Bottom