Interpretation of AS9100 Clause 8.2.4.1.d Inspection Documentation

J

JHagani

I need help to interpret this clause.

Inspection documentation..... Shall include:

d: type of measurement instruments required and any specific instructions associated with their use.

I am being told that this requirement means I need to identify the inspection equipment needed for a specific part in the job traveler, ie: height gage, calipers, CMM machines.....
We already specify them in our AS9102 forms, but I was told tha is after the fact, and we need to Identify them before the actual inspection.

Is this true?

Thanks for your help.

D

domingue

Re: AS9100 8.2.4.1.d

That's how I interpreted it when I was getting our company registered. All of our inspection plans have the measuring instrument already embedded as part of the template.

gard2372

Quite Involved in Discussions

I need help to interpret this clause.

d: type of measurement instruments required and any specific instructions associated with their use.

I am being told that this requirement means I need to identify the inspection equipment needed for a specific part in the job traveler, ie: height gage, calipers, CMM machines.....
We already specify them in our AS9102 forms, but I was told tha is after the fact, and we need to Identify them before the actual inspection.

Is this true?

Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure an interpretation is needed for clause d) :confused:

For traceability and conformity to specifications, wouldn't you want to know what measurement device was used in a particular opertion on a traveler incase you needed to go back and re-work it or if an investigation popped up later on after return to service?

If a part in the field fails and it came from your shop....

You would want to know what Measurement tools were used to accept the product

whether they were in current calibration at the time of inspection

I'm sure your customer and the FAA would inquire about the measurement tools used druing the repair/production process. What would you tell them if you were not able to produce the proof the equipment you used by ID, S/N, calibration date and location? :2cents:

F

Frank T.

Jhagani,

I have attached a generic copy of an inspection plan. That might give you a better understanding.

Attachments

• Inspection Plan.xls
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,137
B

BadgerMan

I think the goal is to give the person that you are asking to perform the inspection (in a production environment) explicit instructions on how to do it.

J

JHagani

Thank you all for your replies. :applause:

We already identify the measuring tool in our inspection reports, (Traceability)but as you guys mentioned, as part of complete and clear work instructions for inspectors, I need to specify what tools to use.

I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. Being an aerospace job shop, and processing over 600 different jobs a month, it will be a huge task for my engineers to review and identify all different measuring tools needed for a specific part.

Now I need to find a clever way to comply with this clause, without alocating too much time and resources.

A

andygr

You may concider that in place of callingout a specific tool ie Starret 2 in micromenter you identify the tools performance ie resolution of +/- .005 . For some electrical test units like the Fluke 77 meter the wording that is added after it is "or equilivant"
It is realy based on what is required for the reliabilty of the measurment to be taken.
For Key chareristics you will need to identify the tool required.
:2cents:

J

JHagani

You may concider that in place of callingout a specific tool ie Starret 2 in micromenter you identify the tools performance ie resolution of +/- .005 . For some electrical test units like the Fluke 77 meter the wording that is added after it is "or equilivant"
It is realy based on what is required for the reliabilty of the measurment to be taken.
For Key chareristics you will need to identify the tool required.
:2cents:

Andy,

That is undrestandable, and more practical.
The Customer's drawing calls out specific tolerances for different features.
If I create a list of all our inspection tools, and their accuracy and use, ie: (microohmmeter: +/- 001 ohms, surface resistance) or
(12" caliper: +/-.0005", linear dimensions 6"-12"), ..... I am actually complying with the clause requirements, without actually going through every job traveler.

We do go through a few Key Charactristic Drawings. Their inspection methods and tools, as you mentioned, need to be identified and approved befor processing.

Thanks for your advice.

windsal

Involved In Discussions
You need to identify the type of measurement according to AS9100. it will be helpful to tell the operator what kind of gauge to use.

A

Ajayqms

Hello Iam Ajay from India, a registered member of Elsmar.com. Can any one tell me how to download the attachments, as every time i try to download the attachment, file named attachment.php is downloaded instead of actual file?

Top Bottom