Inclusion of 7.3 design and development (previously excluded)

I

isaiah.w

Is it necessary to include the clause (have been excluded for the past 5-6 years) if our internal IT dept somehow decide to do software development? But usage/deployment is limited to internal customer. The applications developed are requested by other departments to simplify/automate processes. Will not sell the software. I foresee complications if we decided to include the 7.3 clause without actually selling the "product", i.e. determining and reviewing customer requirements, customer satisfaction, etc. Please advise on how to document 7.3 product design and development without actually selling the product.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Is it necessary to include the clause (have been excluded for the past 5-6 years) if our internal IT dept somehow decide to do software development? But usage/deployment is limited to internal customer. The applications developed are requested by other departments to simplify/automate processes. Will not sell the software. I foresee complications if we decided to include the 7.3 clause without actually selling the "product", i.e. determining and reviewing customer requirements, customer satisfaction, etc. Please advise on how to document 7.3 product design and development without actually selling the product.
Internal customer is a fad. There is nothing like internal customer. These are processes which interact and as a part of the interaction towards planning for product realization, which is a part of the clause 7.1., your IT dept is providing necessary support.
Hence you are not involved in the 7.3 activity and therefore no scope for inclusion.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

isaiah,

If you want to improve IT's performance when it comes to software design then include clause 7.3 as criteria for their management system. After all, someone said software is 98% design and 2% production!

But do not expect your registrar to audit this because the software is not sold and it will not appear in the scope of your certificate.

It is common for the scope of the management system to be wider than the scope stated on the certificate.

John

somashekar

Leader
Admin
If you want to improve IT's performance when it comes to software design then include clause 7.3 as criteria for their management system.
John.
There is nothing in the OP's post which suggests that the IT dept is not doing the software planning and design to meet the other departments automation and simplification. The steps what the IT dept can take in providing solutions is more apt in the 7.1 c) of the ISO9001.
Inclusion of the 7.3, how is it justified for a product / service realization process.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
John.
There is nothing in the OP's post which suggests that the IT dept is not doing the software planning and design to meet the other departments automation and simplification. The steps what the IT dept can take in providing solutions is more apt in the 7.1 c) of the ISO9001.
Inclusion of the 7.3, how is it justified for a product / service realization process.

somashekar,

Yes, they will be planning the realization of their software as well.

But planning is no substitute for design of the software.

John

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

What do you sell? What is your "product" or "service" you provide to the customer to make business?

Top Bottom