Calibration Procedure for ID Micrometer Calibration & Extension Rods

K

kearnj

In our shop we have Mitutoyo 4-5" ID mics with Extension rods out to a maximum 80". We currently calibrate the ID mic head with a calibrated OD mic by transferring the feel from a known reference rod standard.

Does anyone have an example calibration procedure for ID mics?

How should we proceed in calibrating the extension rods?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Another quick "Bump". My Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this one.

P

Pezikon

Procedure for Inside Micrometers: 17-20MD-09
Tolerances in the procedure range from 0.0002" to 0.003" depending on the range.
Procedure for End Standards: 33K6-4-369-1
Tolerances in this procedure range from 0.00005" to 0.0004" depending on the range.

Measurement equipment:
http://www.prattandwhitney.com/Content/Laser_and_Digital_Long_Length_Measuring_Machines.asp

In my experience inside mics and end standards have always been calibrated with a super micrometer + gage blocks. Your usual super mic doesn't go out 80 inches, but they do make them, as shown by the URL I provided above. The cal procedures are pretty straight forward. You test the inside mic at several evenly spaced test points throughout the range of the micrometer for each attachment/extension. End standards are even easier; only one measurement can be made. Making measurements on a sensitive super micrometer can be tricky and will require training/experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom