Difference between approaches of Failure Analysis and of Failure Prevention

R

rlaurenti

Is there practically any clear difference between the approaches of failure analysis and of failure prevention? The FMEA method, for instance, I consider for failure analysis and prevention. But, how can I clear define and differentiate one approach from another? What would be the criteria to classify them methods/tolls and best practices in the groups of (1) failure analysis, (2) failure prevention and (3) failure analysis and prevention?
I am trying to sort methods/tools and best practices for failure analysis and for failure prevention. But for that, I need first a clear definition and criteria.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
Re: Failure Analysis x Failure Prevention

Failure Analysis - the process of collecting and analyzing data to determine the cause of a failure and how to prevent it from recurring.
Tools:

• Forensic Analysis
  • Fault Tree Analysis
  • Causal Analysis
  • 8D/7D/5-Why Analytical Problem Solving
Failure Prevention - the process of anticipating potential failures before they occur and taking action to ensure that they do not occur.
Tools:

• Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
  • Failure Mode, Effects, and Criticality Analysis (FMECA)
  • Sneak Analysis (Electrical and Software)
  • Hazard Analysis
  • Common Cause Failure Analysis
  • Monte Carlo Analysis
  • and many, many others

R

rlaurenti

Failure Analysis - the process of collecting and analyzing data to determine the cause of a failure and how to prevent it from recurring.
Tools:

• Forensic Analysis
  • Fault Tree Analysis
  • Causal Analysis
  • 8D/7D/5-Why Analytical Problem Solving
Failure Prevention - the process of anticipating potential failures before they occur and taking action to ensure that they do not occur.
Tools:

• Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
  • Failure Mode, Effects, and Criticality Analysis (FMECA)
  • Sneak Analysis (Electrical and Software)
  • Hazard Analysis
  • Common Cause Failure Analysis
  • Monte Carlo Analysis
  • and many, many others

Thanks a lot!
Do you think could be a method/tool or best practice that would fit in both groups? For instance, I think that the FMEA method is for failure analysis and prevention.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

When you first create the FMEA it is a Failure Prevention tool. As you update it based on actual failures, it can become a failure analysis tool.

And, yes most of the tools in the second list can also be used to determine the cause of an actual failure.

From the first list, the Fault Tree Analysis is the only one that might be used for fault prevention.

Top Bottom