Portable Surface Roughness Tester Calibration Question (SPI model 14-514-4)

P

Phil Fields

Hi,
I recently purchased a new SPI Portable Surface Roughness Tester, model 14-514-4. This came complete with a surface roughness specimen.

The instruction manual defines the calibration procedure using the roughness specimen.

I am planning on having the surface roughness specimen controlled and calibrated. Do I need to have the tester calibrated if I have a work instruction that defines to calibrate per the manual before each use?

Thank you,
Phil

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi,
I recently purchased a new SPI Portable Surface Roughness Tester, model 14-514-4. This came complete with a surface roughness specimen.

The instruction manual defines the calibration procedure using the roughness specimen.

I am planning on having the surface roughness specimen controlled and calibrated. Do I need to have the tester calibrated if I have a work instruction that defines to calibrate per the manual before each use?

Thank you,
Phil

No, the standard in 7.6 states: ".......or prior to use."

Stijloor.

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
Why would you want to calibrate it before each use?

You'll wear out your specimen that way. Just call it good for six months.

I see a dilemma with regard to checking the instrument throughout its range. I think you should have two roughness specimens and create a calibration procedure that checks different cutoff length and averaging settings that might be selectable on the instrument. The range of the instrument is probably quoted as something like 2-250 rA.

Incidentally I have not found an honest calibration procedure for profilometers. I bet I have a Mitutoyo CP at home, I'll check.

apestate

Quite Involved in Discussions
Even GIDEP lacks a calibration procedure for profilometer that goes above and beyond having the test specimen calibrated as a master, and using the tester on it once.

That's it? I doubt that is a valid calibration procedure.

Top Bottom