Measure Twice, Cut Once: The French Railroad Snafu

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Less expensive solution - close the nonconforming stations - isn't that what Microsoft does when it issues revisions?

David-D

Involved In Discussions
I don't want to be too flippant and I'm sure that many will (rightfully) delve into a failure of requirements analysis but I don't really know that this is a bad thing. Basically for less than 2% of the project cost they need to address issues with less than 1/6 of the infrastructure. In exchange it removes a significant, artificial constraint which likely restricts passenger carrying capability and comfort and possibly allows for using more standard components and resulting cost savings. In the end, possibly a much better design solution; possibly with lifecycle cost savings.

But it makes a flashy headline.

David

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I don't want to be too flippant and I'm sure that many will (rightfully) delve into a failure of requirements analysis but I don't really know that this is a bad thing. Basically for less than 2% of the project cost they need to address issues with less than 1/6 of the infrastructure. In exchange it removes a significant, artificial constraint which likely restricts passenger carrying capability and comfort and possibly allows for using more standard components and resulting cost savings. In the end, possibly a much better design solution; possibly with lifecycle cost savings.

But it makes a flashy headline.

David

I think that calling what amounts to corrective action a "design solution" is a bit misguided. My guess is that had this information been available beforehand when the train was being designed, the solution would have been the same, but who knows?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
David,

Once the non-standard rail station platforms have been corrected, the travelers may see fewer "Mind the Gap" signs.

John

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
So the solution is to make the station platforms smaller so the trains can get through. Now are they replacing the whole of the regional fleet with these trains? If not then there could be remaining train stock in use at the previous width. Would this not create a wider gap and potential for safety implications?

Someone said it is 10cm on each side, not a big gap but some users might have problems,disabled,mothers with pushchairs, cyclists with luggage on the bikes (or in my partners case a toddler in a child seat). Trust me a modest gap presents a bit of difficulty with a toddler on the back of a bike I've experienced that as our local station has a large gap if the train stops early due to the station's bend.

My point is by solving the current problem in the front of their mind they might create another one. Have they considered this or missed this like the train width limit in certain stations? Another service pack update (SP2) might be needed - using the M<S analogy.

Last edited:
This has happened here in the US in the last few years as well.It occurs mainly when replacement parts are ordered (usually not from the OEM), and the supplier is not given the envelope dimensions that constrain the exterior width.

K

kgott

Reminds me of the apprentice carpenter who was looking befuddled to the master carpenter so the master approached the apprentice and asked what was wrong.

The apprentice replied, I measured it twice and cut it once but it was too short so I cut it again and it's still too short.

Top Bottom