Greening of Standard Specifications - What is your company/ organization doing

D

DuckEng

What is your company/ organization doing, if anything, to update it's specifications to include new ecologically compatible products and services?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Anyone here working in a company which is into the Green movement?

Hi

My company has been a green company for over thirty years.

Our company banned substances like Cadmium, polychlorobiphenyls and polychloroterphenyls (1984) , Polybromobiphenyls, Polybromobiphenylethers etc., (1994), lead, arsenic, antimony etc.,(early 2000) in proudcts long before they had become mandatory. Further solvents like CFC (much before Montreal Protocol requirements), trichloroethylene, carbon tetrachloride, trichloroethylene etc., had been banned for use in processes (1994). PVC for packing (blister pack) was also banned for our products in the 1990s.

Apart from the above our company follows EcoDesign principles with the following focal points: (a) mass reduction, (b) energy consumption reduction, (c) reducing/eliminating hazardous substances, (d) introducing recyclability, (e) reducing packaging mass and (f) increasing the life of the product. Any new development should meet the eco-design principles, which warrants that the successor model should be better than the earlier product at least in one of the focal areas. We have been using the EcoDesign principles for over a decade now. The result is that our products are much more energy efficient than many of the competitors, their mass is less and the presence of hazardous substances is negligible, enabling proper handling of the product at the end of life (EOL).

We have many green products in our portfolio; you may like to visit www.asimpleswitch.com for more information.

I am also attaching a presentation I made recently on EcoDesign; that will give you some idea of what I am talking.

Hope the above helps. I am glad to answer any specific question on greening of the supply chain, including green products.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

Attachments

• Design for the Environment -BCCI.ppt
    1.3 MB · Views: 423

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
We have officially started our sustainability move and I have been added that title. Starting with the 6 Rs “recovery, recycling, reuse, reduce, refuse and re-engineer". There are many shades of "GREEN" and it is important for the company to set their shade and focus on sustainability.

B

bharath.patriot

Hi!

Very good inputs especially a fresher like me

Thank You
Bharath:)

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
I was just getting ready to post a request for info. on DFE. I have now been given the job of sustainability director in addition to quality. One of the keys is to identify what you are currently doing and get that documented as a start and then determine where top management wants to go. There are many shades of "GREEN" out there but not all are sustainable. Think of a 3 legged stool with each leg representing People-Social, Planet-Environmental and Profit- Economic or SEE as i have named it. If all three legs are there and equal you are in good shape but where it gets difficult is if one is absent or short. Keep this in mind as more organizations move toward "GREEN" There is more to "GREEN" than the 3 R's, actually there are 6 R's- Refuse, Re-engineer, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Recovery. BTW, if anyone has more info on DFE it would be appreciated. I have started a collection of info but have not really come across something encompassing. I am in particular interested in the furniture end, if anyone is doing something with it currently. Thanks in advance

Top Bottom