What is an "Audit Program (Programme)"?

G

grimmet

Dear all,

I'm struggling in understanding the difference between "audit program" and "audit plan". As I understood, an audit plan is a kind of agenda for one specific audit.

But what is an audit program? ISO 19011 defines audit program: "set of one or more audits planned for a specific time frame and directed toward a specific purpose".

But what does that mean? Is it a kind of mid- or longterm calender for audits? I don't get it.

Please help me understanding.

Thanks & regards,
Grimmet

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Re: What is an "audit program"?

An audit program would be schedule of audits over a period of time, say one year or the life of a certificate. It would identify the areas to be audited each time so that all areas were covered. For example one time you may audit CAPA, the next Supplier control. You may also identify that CAPA is a high risk area so the program may incorporate two or three separate audits of this area.

Each audit would have it's own plan, i.e. the opening closing meetings, key points of the area being audited to examine etc.

qusys

Dear all,

I'm struggling in understanding the difference between "audit program" and "audit plan". As I understood, an audit plan is a kind of agenda for one specific audit.

But what is an audit program? ISO 19011 defines audit program: "set of one or more audits planned for a specific time frame and directed toward a specific purpose".

But what does that mean? Is it a kind of mid- or longterm calender for audits? I don't get it.

Thanks & regards,
Grimmet

An audit plan is related to one single audit, with the purpose of the audit, extent, processes to be touched etc... What you said is correct, refering to the agenda
An audit programme is an extensive one to audit all the processes of QMS of an organization. It is related to 8.2.2 clause of ISO 9001.

For instance, in an organization an internal audit programm can have as a purpose the one to highlight non conformity vs internal procedures, customer requirements and standards adopted as well as to be a leverage for continual improvement.
The audit programme is composed of a certain number of internal audit touching all the QMS processes. They could also include other activities as per input of mgmt.
Hope this helps:bigwave:

qusys

Dear all,

Thanks & regards,
Grimmet

I would also add that the internal audit programme is a measuring tool that you can use to monitor the compliance of yuor organization to customer requirements, external standards and internal procedure.
Besided you can monitor the effectiveness and eventually the efficiency of your QMS.:bigwave:

harry

Dear all,

I'm struggling in understanding the difference between "audit program" and "audit plan". ...................................

The distinction is quite clear if you go back to ISO 9000: 2005

3.9.2 Audit Programme - set of one or more audits planned for a specific time frame and directed towards a specific purpose
(includes all activities necessary for planning, organizing and conducting the audit)

3.9.12 audit plan - description of the activities and arrangements for an audit

Go back to ISO 9001: 2008, 8.2.2 Internal Audit

Last edited:
I

IMS Manager

Howdy, do you have an example of how it would look say in excel or word format. I understand what it is but am also struggling with the format or look of the programme :)

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin

Howdy, do you have an example of how it would look say in excel or word format. I understand what it is but am also struggling with the format or look of the programme :)

Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

If you are looking for an example of the Audit Program, the best one is from Jennifer, one of our Forum Moderators - http://elsmar.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=173070&postcount=1

Pls come back if you have more questions :)

AndyN

Moved On

One big mistake people make is trying to predict and then put on a 12 month calendar, what they should be auditing. It's a very common mistake to do that and organizations even get registered as compliant with such an approach. Fact is, it's not required. You have to determine the "status and importance" of the processes to be audited. Unless you have a crystal ball, that's a practical impossibility. What you're looking for, while often tried, isn't successful in delivering audits which management can understand or support.

I

IMS Manager

Hi Guys,

Thanks for that.

Attached is what I have put together from what I understand an Audit Programme and associated schedule is about.

Cheers

Attachments

• Audit Programme.xlsx
    21.2 KB · Views: 434

AndyN

Moved On
Ok, I opened it. Without knowing much more about your organization, you appear to be making things too complicated! The audit "schedule" doesn't look like a schedule to me, more like a tracking/management tool. That's fine as it is, but it's not a "schedule" in my mind - as long as you and yours know what it is it's fine of course.

The program looks way too complicated too. All you have to decide is an appropriate frequency for doing audits. When I say appropriate, I mean to support the QMS, not what's "easy" or doesn't cause disruptions to others.

Let's suggest that you can handle an audit a month. You don't have to decide what the scope or criteria are until you decide to audit - based on status and importance - as the standard says.By all means put your BSI cert audit (but not under "internal audits" and what are the others, if they're not internal audits? Why did you choose to do the ones in yellow at that time? These are the questions I'd ask if I was the CEO and you wanted me to approve this program...

Last edited:
Top Bottom