Calibration of an Electrical Measuring Device - Multimeter, Voltmeter

C

clara

Hi everybody,
Could you please advice me what we have to do to calibrate a electrical measuring device that comprising some measuring equipment as multimeter, volmeter ...
Can we calibrated them individually or can we only verify the general function of the measuring device ?
Thanks in advance.
Clara

AndyN

Moved On
Re: Calibration of a measuring device

Clara!

We need much more information from you to answer this question. We need to know what is the equipment used for? What kind of organization are you working for, do you have people who understand calibration ?(if you do, ask them, but I'm guessing not, which is why you're here?)

The equipment might be calibrated individually or as an ensemble, depending on its use. Do you have an accredited calibration lab locally who could help you?

Let us know a bit more information (in general details) about your products, if you manufacture etc., do you already calibrate equipment, or use a lab etc?

Andy

C

clara

Re: Calibration of a measuring device

Clara!

We need much more information from you to answer this question. We need to know what is the equipment used for? What kind of organization are you working for, do you have people who understand calibration ?(if you do, ask them, but I'm guessing not, which is why you're here?)

The equipment might be calibrated individually or as an ensemble, depending on its use. Do you have an accredited calibration lab locally who could help you?

Let us know a bit more information (in general details) about your products, if you manufacture etc., do you already calibrate equipment, or use a lab etc?

Andy
Hi Andy,
Our company manufactures kinds of aircraft positions sensors. For the final test, we use a measuring device including some multimeter, voltmeter, positionner... After the test process, each piece has a inspection report stating PASS or BAD.
Actually we send all the measuring equipament out to calibrate by an external accredited calibration lab.
Since this device is particularly designed for our product and very expensive, our local lab can't calibrate it, we can't send it too, so I am rather confused.
What have I do ? Calibrate every equipment or calibrate the device en ensemble ?
Your advices will be highly appreciated.
Clara

BradM

Leader
Admin
I am still unsure what your setup is.

Are you doing redundant tests? Do you verify this equipment on two different systems? One has multimeters, gauges, etc., and the other on a device? The device is expensive and impossible to get calibrated?

I will assume you have two different measurement systems measuring the same perimeters on your product. If that is the case, you might be able to provide calibration on one of them and not the other. A little more detail might help with that assessment.

C

clara

I am still unsure what your setup is.

Are you doing redundant tests? Do you verify this equipment on two different systems? One has multimeters, gauges, etc., and the other on a device? The device is expensive and impossible to get calibrated?

I will assume you have two different measurement systems measuring the same perimeters on your product. If that is the case, you might be able to provide calibration on one of them and not the other. A little more detail might help with that assessment.

Hi BradM,
We have only one measuring device. This device comprises 01 multimeter, 02 volmeters , 01 positionner ..., it is really a measuring system.
Regards,
Clara

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
We have only one measuring device. This device comprises 01 multimeter, 02 volmeters , 01 positionner ..., it is really a measuring system.
Regards,
Clara

It sounds to me like the individual components (voltmeters, e.g.) need to be calibrated, but the whole device should be validated. That is, there should be a theory of operation (what the device is designed to accomplish) and then objective testing to verify that the device does it.

BradM

Leader
Admin
I agree with Jim's response, and offer the same advise.

Could you perform any of the individual component calibration on-site?

C

clara

It sounds to me like the individual components (voltmeters, e.g.) need to be calibrated, but the whole device should be validated. That is, there should be a theory of operation (what the device is designed to accomplish) and then objective testing to verify that the device does it.
Thanks Jim and Brad.
But after calibrating all of individual equipments, can I validate the system by verifying their function or by using a standard ?
Clara.

AndyN

Moved On
Thanks Jim and Brad.
But after calibrating all of individual equipments, can I validate the system by verifying their function or by using a standard ?
Clara.

Clara:
The advice given so far is very good. You can verify the ensemble by using a "CRM" or "gold" standard. Take a known good product and, perhaps, some known failures (gathering up a few different types of rejects over time is helpful) and run these through the test(s) to ensure the equipment passes good and rejects bad products. Keep a record of what was done, when and who ran the verification and keep that on file. Make some kind of label for the equipment to show it was verified. Also, keep records of the ensemble, to show that if one of the items is swapped out (due to damage etc) you can then re-verify the ensemble.

Good luck!

Andy

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Based on the description of the system, I would suggest that individual components should be verified by the accredited cal lab, but the actual calibration should be a systemic approach, as that is how it appears to be used. The cal lab should be able to develop and validate a procedure for that.

Hershal

Top Bottom